There’s much more to do at our community libraries than check out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events:
Support your local library at the Friends of the Library Book Sale, Thursday, May 31 from 1:00 – 5:30; Friday and Saturday, June 1 and 2, from 9:30 – 5:30.
Events for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, May 4, 18 & 25 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, May 9 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Friday, May 11 @ 10:00 a.m. & Noon.
- Accordion Club meets the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, May 12 & 26 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Chinese Brush Painting show and sale. Students of Jean Shen, Master brush painter and calligrapher, will be showcasing their paintings in the Community Room, April 28 through June 30. Artists’ reception is on Saturday, May 12 @ 2:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing The Tin Horse by Janice Steinberg. Wednesday, May 23 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station is available in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Available till the end of May 2018. Tuesday @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- STEAM with SET – High school volunteers with the Scientists and Engineers of Tomorrow club will conduct a hands on experiment, this month it will be on light reflection and refraction. Wednesday, May 2 @ 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- ThoughtSTEM is back again for a coding program for kids 7 and up. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, May 15 @ 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Challenge Island – Destination, Blow Cart Beach. On this island destination, kids will tackle the challenge of designing a wind-powered tribal car that could go the farthest distance in a few puffs. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, May 16 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays, Wii gaming with your friends, Get your game on! Every Friday @ 3:00 p.m.
- Girls Who Code Club – These are programs for 6th to 12th grade girls to explore coding in a fun and friendly way. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, May 1, 8, 22 & 29 @ 3:45 – 4:45 p.m.
- Spring into STEAM – NASA Foam Rocket Launcher. We are recruiting astronauts to build a ballistic, rubber band-powered foam rocket. Students will construct rockets made from pipe insulating foam and use them to investigate the trajectory relationship between launch angle and range in a controlled environment. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, May 9 @ 2:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club – Come build anything you can image with LEGO. Wednesday, May 30 @ 2:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit http://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.