“Check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive; there’s much more to do at our community libraries than just check out books.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, July 6, 13, 20, 27, August 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, July 9 & August 13 @ Noon & 2:00 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, July 11 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, July 14, 28, August 11 & 25 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Jewish Voice for Peace San Diego Chapter will be showing a Movie: Knowledge is the Beginning followed by moderated discussion. Saturday, July 14 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Adult Crafts – Make fun and creative crafts to use at home or give to friends! Recommended for ages 14 and up. Monday, July 16 & August 20 @ 10:30 a.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland. Wednesday, July 25 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Jewish Voice for Peace San Diego Chapter will be showing a Movie: The Ramallah Concert followed by moderated discussion. Saturday, July 28 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Concert: Eric Dickerson will perform The Art of the Classical Guitar on 11 and 13 string alto guitars. Dickerson will provide historical insights into the classical guitar as well as its repertoire. Wednesday, August 1 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Classic Book Club will be discussing Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert and Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant. Monday, August 6 @ 2:30 p.m.
- OASIS: One Giant Leap for Mankind – It’s been almost 50 years since Neil Armstrong proclaimed One Giant Leap for Mankind. But in 1957 no one believed we could fly into space, let alone to the moon. Tuesday, August 21 @ 1:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor. Wednesday, August 22 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Adventures on the Pacific Crest Trail – The Pacific Crest Trail begins in California at the Mexican border and ends at the Canadian border in Washington. The PCT passes through the hot desert of southern California and up to 13,200 feet in the Sierras. Dana Law has hiked all 2,650 miles in 31 separate journeys. Hear him talk about his travels and learn what it takes to travel long distances self-contained. Wednesday, August 22 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station is available in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- Storytime with Bruce Barr – Bruce tells stories to stimulate your child’s imagination. Saturday, July 21 & August 18 @ 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Video Game Fridays, Wii gaming with your friends, Get your game on! Every Friday @ 3:00 p.m.
Summer Reading Programs
- Sparkles the Clown – Our favorite clown, Sparkles, returns with her special magic and bubble show. She’s been clowning around since 1987! Join us for a hilarious and whimsical show. Wednesday, July 11
Library Holiday Closures
- Wednesday, July 4 for Independence Day
- Monday, September 3 for Labor Day
- Book drops will remain open at all Libraries on holidays.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit http://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.