“Check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive; there’s much more to do at our community libraries than just check out books.
Events for Adults
- Concert: The San Diego Jewish Men’s Choir will perform a variety of well-loved Jewish songs in the Hebrew, Ladino, English, and Yiddish language. Wednesday, October 3 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, October 5, 12, 19 & 26 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, October 10 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Henna – Suchita will create beautiful designs with Henna. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, October 15 @ 10:30 a.m. – 12:00
- Skull Flower Pot – Paint a decorative skull on a flower pot to take home for your own ofrenda for Dia De Los Muertos. Presented by ToshWerkS, recommended for ages 12 and up. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, October 15 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Classics Book Club will be discussing The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy. Monday, October 22 @ 2:30 p.m.
- OASIS: Exploring Dia de los Muertos – Julia Pfister explores the many traditions associated with the Day of the Dead, Including creation of altars (ofendas), making special foods, and delves into other creative customs. Tuesday, October 23 @ 1:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing News of the World by Paulette Jiles. Wednesday, October 24 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Coffee with Counsel – Do you have consumer fraud questions you want to ask a lawyer? Get general information and ask questions at this educational program. Thursday, October 25 @ 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.
- Learn about the POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) – Learn how to use this form to help healthcare providers know your wishes and give you control over your end-of-life care. Friday, October 26 @ 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Events for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Halloween Craft in the community room. All ages are welcome. Wednesday, October 24 @ 3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesday & Thursday@ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station is available in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- Events for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays, Wii gaming with your friends, Get your game on! Every Friday @ 3:00 p.m.
- Paint Skulls for Day of the Dead or Halloween. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, October 10 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Girls Who Code Club – These are programs for 6th to 12th grade girls to explore coding in a fun and friendly way. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, October 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 @ 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Libraries will be closed Thursday, October 11 for Staff Development Day.
- All book drops remain open.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit http://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.