There’s so much more to do at our community libraries than just check out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive:
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, October 4 & 18 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Dramatic Readers Group, Wednesday, October 10 at 3:00 p.m. Experience a play through oral reading in a minimalist setting—no scenery, no props, no lighting or stage direction, just books and voices. The group will be assigning roles for the November 14 reading of Neil Simon’s The Prisoner of Second Avenue.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, October 13 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed is The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, October 14 & 28 at 12:30 p.m. 20 minute guided meditation followed by tea.
- Cinema Café, Wednesday, October 17 at 6:00 p.m. Enjoy refreshments while watching and discussing a thought-provoking movie. Please call the library for the month’s selected feature.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, October 21 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, October 12 & 26 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime, Tuesday, October 9 & 23 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
- Libraries will be closed Thursday, October 11 for Staff Development Day.
- All book drops remain open.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit http://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.