Mid-Coast Trolley Construction Update: Beginning Sunday night, May 20, there will be a series of overnight closures of all northbound or all southbound lanes on Interstate 5 (I-5). Northbound closures of I-5 will be from State Route 52 (SR 52) to La Jolla Village Drive. Southbound closures of I-5 will be from the Interstate 805 (I-805) merge to Gilman Drive. The following closures will be in place:
Northbound Full Closures; Northbound motorists will be detoured via SR 52:
- Sunday, May 20, from 9:30 p.m. to Monday, May 21, at 5 a.m.
- Monday, May 21, from 9:30 p.m. to Tuesday, May 22, at 5 a.m.
Southbound Full Closures; Southbound motorists will be detoured via I-805:
- Tuesday, May 22, from 9:30 p.m. to Wednesday, May 23, at 5 a.m.
- Thursday, May 24, from 9:30 p.m. to Friday, May 25, at 5 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 29, from 9:30 p.m. to Wednesday, May 30, at 5 a.m.
This work is required to bring equipment into the work area, including drilling and pouring of concrete for the drilled foundation within the center median of Interstate 5. Full freeway closures are required due to the size of the equipment, and the length of the foundation and column, which will be hoisted and set at the same time.