There’s so much more to do at our community libraries than just check out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive:
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Book Lovers’ Book Club Monday, June 4 at 3:00 p.m. This Book Club meets every 6 weeks. Title to be discussed is The Rainbow Comes and Goes by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, June 7 & 21 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, June 9 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, June 10 & 24 at 12:30 p.m. 20 minute guided meditation followed by tea.
- Dramatic Readers Group, Wednesday, June 13 at 3:00 p.m. Experience a play through oral reading in a minimalist setting—no scenery, no props, no lighting or stage direction, just books and voices. The group will be picking up copies of and assigning roles for The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.
- Page Turners Book Club, Wednesday, June 13 at 6:30 p.m. Title to be discussed is The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict.
- Top 10 Things to Do to Stay Healthy, Thursday, June 14 at 12:30 p.m. This free presentation will provide information on ways to stay healthy, including preventative measures such as hand washing and sun protection, as well as tips on diet and exercise. Presented by Sharp HealthCare, the official Health and Wellness Partner of the City of San Diego.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, June 17 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Cinema Café, Wednesday, June 20 at 6:00 p.m. Enjoy refreshments while watching and discussing a thought-provoking movie. Please call the library for the month’s selected feature.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Chinese Storytime, Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, June 1, 8 & 22 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime, Tuesday, June 12 & 26 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursday, June 14 at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Frankentoys, Saturday, June 16 at 11:00 a.m. We are celebrating the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein with a “Frankentoys” craft! Make your own Frankentoy using parts of other toys. Registration required.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.