“Check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive; there’s much more to do at our community libraries than just check out books.
Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Thursday, May 31 from 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 1 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 2 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Programming for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, June 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Classics Book Club will be discussing Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. Monday, June 4 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, June 9 & 23 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, June 13 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Zentangle is a fun and easy art method that allows you to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns, this session is the VW bus. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, June 19 @ 10:30 a.m. & Noon.
- UC Book Club will be discussing My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by Fredrik Backman. Wednesday, June 27 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Afoot & Afield in San Diego County: Celebrate the 5th edition of Jerry Schad’s iconic book and learn how local resident Scott Turner came to take on the monumental task of updating this popular and beloved guide. Wednesday, June 27 @ 6:00 p.m.
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station is available in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- STEAM with SET – High school volunteers with the Scientists and Engineers of Tomorrow (SET) Club will conduct a hands-on experiment, this month we will be exploring PH. Wednesday, June 6 @ 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Storytime with Bruce Barr – Bruce tells stories to stimulate your child’s imagination. Saturday, June 16 @ 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays, Wii gaming with your friends, Get your game on! Every Friday @ 3:00 p.m.
Summer Reading Programs
- Mad Science, our local favorite, return to kick off the 2018 Summer Reading Program. Learn about science through this fun and interactive performance! Wednesday, June 6 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Literature Comes to Life – Children learn to love literature as they become storybook characters and participate in living stories. Wednesday, June 13 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Craig Newton presents his wonderful program of exciting music ranging from marches to rock and roll. Playing an incredible variety of instruments (at least ten). Wednesday, June 20 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Fleet Science Center presents “Under Pressure” where kids will learn just how strong air can be through exciting, engaging demonstrations involving the physics of air. Wednesday, June 27 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Movie Fridays with popcorn. Please call 858-552-1655 to find out what movie will be playing. Every Friday, June 8, 15, 22, 29 @ 1:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.