Making A Difference: A Beginner’s Guide to Affecting Municipal Laws in San Diego

There are many ways for the people of San Diego to have an impact on the laws which govern our City. Most City ordinances and resolutions require a simple majority of Council votes (5 out of 9) to be adopted. Start out by calling or writing a letter to your Councilmember and to the Mayor. If you want to show you have lots of community support, develop and submit an informal petition, or have others call or send letters. With the backing of five (5) Councilmembers, your idea can become municipal policy.

Members of the public may also make a Public Comment to City Councilmembers on a docketed (City Council Agenda) item by filling out a speaker slip. Both “in favor” and “in opposition” slips are available in the rear of Council Chambers (on the 12th floor of the City Administration Building, 202 C Street, San Diego, CA 92101) and in the lobby just outside Chambers before each meeting, or can be obtained at the City Clerk’s Office (202 C Street, 2nd Floor).

You may also use the Internet to express interest or make a Public Comment about an item to be discussed by the City Council in an upcoming meeting. Complete and submit the Public Comment form at Your comments will be distributed to Council members and will be retained as part of the record.

For more information, please visit the Office of the City Clerk website at

For information on City Council, including links to Council Meeting Docket (Agendas), visit

For related posts, visit


Share the News!

We value your feedback and input. UCCA provides a forum where the interests of residents may be expressed and contributions made to the protection of life and property in the University City community. Please ‘Contact Us’ at

Sign up for email notifications at

 Like us on Facebook at

 Follow us on Twitter at

 Meet UC neighbors on Nextdoor at

 Improve UC at

 Visit our News Feed home page UCCA at

If you have a news item to share, please submit your story through UCCA’s Contact Us link at

Review article guidelines at