“Check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive; there’s much more to do at our community libraries other than checking out books.
This month’s Featured Events
- Concert: Leah Panos will perform a variety of classical pieces on the harp. Wednesday, December 5 @ 6:30 p.m.
- OASIS: Lost Murals – Recent archaeological discoveries at San Diego State University revealed multiple hidden and long-since forgotten student murals from the bowels of the historic campus. Wednesday, December 12 @ 1:00 p.m.
Events for Adults
- Accordion Club meets the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Saturday, December 1 & 15 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Concert: Junior Knits featuring Alex Coolman. Indie/contemporary music. Saturday, December 1 @ 12:00 noon.
- Classics Book Club will be discussing The Arabian Nights by Sir Richard Francis Burton. Monday, December 3 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, December 7, 14, 21 & 28 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – No formal meeting in December. The next scheduled UCCA meeting is Wednesday, January 9 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Please stay in touch through our websites.
Events for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesday & Thursday@ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station is available in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- STEAM @ Your Library – Build Roto-Copters, Hoopsters, and more. Paper airplanes aren’t the only objects you can make that fly. Build an assortment of interesting flying objects while learning about how they fly! Wednesday, December 5 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Noteworthy Puppets presents Kid Zorro: the Bilingual Puppet Musical. Zorro must embrace his family’s destiny in order to save the local Mission from the corrupt politician with a diabolical plan. Monday, December 10 @ 4:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club – Come build anything you can image with LEGO. Thursday, December 13 @ 3:00 p.m.
Events for Tweens/Teens
- Girls Who Code Club – These are programs for 6th to 12th grade girls to explore coding in a fun and friendly way. Tuesday, December 4 & Wednesday, December 12 @ 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Robotics Demo – The Green Griffins will be showing off their robot and letting attendees drive it. They will also be talking about FIRST robotics including how they build robots. If you are interested in Science, Technology Engineering or Mathematics, or have questions about robotics and the team, then stop by the library! Friday, December 14 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Challenge Island! Travel back in time; time destination: 1972. There were no video games back then but there was Pinball! Join the other kids and be part of a tribe to take on the Pinball Wizard Way challenge using only the materials in your tribal chest and your creativity! Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, December 19 @ 2:00 p.m.
Library Holiday Closures; book drops will remain open:
- Library will be closed December 25 for Christmas Day
- Library will be closed January 1 for New Year’s Day
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.