It’s September and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books. Don’t forget; the University City libraries are air conditioned; visiting your local library is a great way to beat the heat. Step into the Cool Zone at your local library. All libraries will be closed for Labor Day; book drops will remain open and available for book return.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome to arrive at 5:30 for networking. Wednesday, September 11 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- National Voter Registration Day – Have you just moved to the neighborhood recently or need to change your voter registration information? Join us for a special voter registration event. Tuesday, September 24 @ 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale – Thursday, September 26 from 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.; Friday, September 27 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.; Saturday, September 28 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Programming for Adults
- Concert: Adrienne Nims and Spirit Wind – Multi-instrumentalist Adrienne Nims plays contemporary and world jazz, both as a solo artist and with her band, Spirit Wind. Nims has been a musician since the age of five and has opened for such greats as Spyro Gyra, Al Dimeola, Najee and Joe Cocker. Wednesday, September 4 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, September 6, 13, 20, 27 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- OASIS: Lost Squadron – Mark Carlson tells the story of the worst air disaster to strike a Marine Corps fighter squadron during the Second World War. He shares the dramatic true story of a desperate and courageous fight for survival against the forces of nature and a conspiracy of silence. Based on his book by the same name. Thursday, September 12 @ 12:30 p.m.
- Making Macramé – Join us for a fun class making macramé with Liz. Instructions and supplies are provided, and the project for the day is to make plant holders. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Saturday, September 14 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Understanding Back Pain, Prevention and Management presented by SHARP HealthCare – Attend a free health workshop to learn about the body mechanics that cause lower back pain, how it can be managed through physical therapy and how to prevent it from occurring. Wednesday, September 18 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, September 23 @ 12:00.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. Wednesday, September 25 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Watercolor-Resist Patchwork Quilt. Using wax pencils, crayons, and rubber cement, kids will design a patchwork quilt which they will wash with watercolor. The underlying design of wax, crayon, and rubber cement will resist the watercolor leaving a bright colorful pattern. Then the kids can add further embellishment to their quilt with oil pastels. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, September 16 @ 3:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, September 6, 13 & 20 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Button Making – We will be making 1-inch buttons from magazines and printed materials. You can bring in your own print outs to make buttons too! Wednesday, September 18 @ 2:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.