It’s November and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs, activities and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- DIY for Grownups: No-sew apron, Saturday, November 16 at 11:00 a.m. Perfect for Thanksgiving, make a no-sew apron in under 2 hours! All supplies provided. Registration required.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, November 7 & 21 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, November 9 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed in November is A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, November 10 & 24 at 12:30 p.m., Guided meditation followed by tea.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, November 17 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, November 23 at 1:00 p.m. Title to be discussed in November is On the Move by Oliver Sacks.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. A fun art project every week! Due to space limitations, this program is limited to 20 participants. Signups begin same day when the library opens. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Saturdays, November at 11:00 a.m. Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, November 8 & 22 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Paws to Read, Monday, November 18 at 4:30 p.m. Therapy dogs provided by Love on a Leash (Central San Diego Chapter) foster a supportive environment for emerging readers.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.