It’s November and time to “check out” these many free programs, events and activities at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books.
- Councilmember Barbara Bry makes a special appearance at the November University City Community Association community meeting. This is an open community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, November 13 @ 5:30 p.m. for networking; 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. for meeting. UCCA’s special guest will be Councilmember Barbara Bry.
Events for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong), a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. Gentle exercises suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, November 1, 8, 15, 22 &29 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Concert: Dean Ratzman – Enjoy classics and oldies music from the 1940’s through the 1980’s with the multi-talented Dean Ratzman. Wednesday, November 6 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Sharp Talk – This Sharp Talk will be about diabetes, how to manage it and live a long and health life. Thursday, November 7 @ 12:30 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome. Saturday, November 9 & 23 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- OASIS: Remembering Before They Forget: Early Stage Dementia – Learn tips and techniques for capturing memories of a loved one whose recall is fading. Tuesday, November 12 @ 12:30 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, November 13 @ 5:30 p.m. for networking; 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. for meeting. UCCA’s special guest will be Councilmember Barbara Bry.
- Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, November 18 @ 12:00.
- OASIS: Remembering Before They Forget: Late-Staged Dementia – Learn a unique way to connect with your loved one using reminiscing and reading. Tuesday, November 19 @ 12:30 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Goodbye Mr. Chips by James Hilton. Wednesday, November 20 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will learn how to assemble a pop-card that can be mailed in a standard sized card envelope. Kids will create their own design and decorate their card with pre-cut autumn images that they can color and embellish. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, November 13 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Challenge Island – Join us for the coolest Thanksgiving challenge around at Mayflower Harbor! The Pilgrims are off to America and need your tribe’s help! Build your own wind-powered Mayflower and race it to America with your Pilgrim crew! Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, November 20 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, November 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 @ 3:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.