The University City Parks Council (UCPC) and the Standley Park Recreation Advisory Group are pleased to announce the resumption of Summer outdoor events at Standley Park in August 2021.
Summer Concerts 2021 return with an abbreviated schedule this year with four concerts featuring a variety of musical styles. All concerts are scheduled for Sunday evenings at Standley Park, 3585 Governor Drive, in University City. Sound check and warmup begins at 4:30; concert from 5 to 7 PM.
Help wanted! University City Parks Council (UCPC) president John Schindel says “… we still need some “roadies” to help set up the stage (on concert days), etc at 1pm and take down at 7pm. We pay $20 cash.” Contact John via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to give back to the community and make a little cash too. Great for a high school and college student perhaps?
- August 1: Royal Heat with Laura Hardy (previously from the group Legends); music from the 50’s-60’s. First time at Standley Park.
- August 7: Banana Split Ice Cream Social: This longtime favorite summer event returns to Standley Park on Saturday, August 7, at 2 PM.
- August 8: Front Porch Pandemic Jazz Band with Greg Pardue; Jazz jams, funk, and jazz classics. Longtime local favorite.
- August 15: 3 Car Garage, music features four decades of classic rock hits you can sing and dance to. First time at Standley Park.
- August 15, 3 to 6 PM: Coldwell Banker UC’s Back Packs for Kids at Standley Park. For information, contact ColdwellBankerUC@gmail.com or 858-352-6587.
- August 22: The Distractions, with Greg Zinzer; music from 60’s-80’s. Longtime local favorite.
Standley Park is a fun and family friendly venue with playground and large grassy area. Bring a lawn chair or blanket, snacks and drinks, and enjoy a lovely evening with friends and neighbors in University City. Arrive early to pick out a favorite spot in the shade. Don’t forget your dancing shoes! Please note that concerts are subject to cancellation due to inclement weather. Please observe current health recommendations. The University City Parks Council wishes to thank Scripps Health, the Standley Community Recreation Group, the Parks and Recreation Department, UCCA, and the many local volunteers who donate time and support to help to make the Summer Concerts at Standley Park a reality this year.
Banana Split Ice Cream Social: This longtime favorite summer event returns to Standley Park on Saturday, August 7, at 2 PM. Ice Cream and toppings provided; bring your own banana. Don’t’ be late! Get there early to meet up with family and friends and to enjoy the park. Ice cream is “dished up” promptly at 2 PM. All are welcome at this Standley Park tradition. Please observe current health recommendations.
How cool is this? Greg Pardue and his Front Porch Pandemic Jazz Jam were recently featured on 10 News. Watch the 10 News report on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuDWP9UCgVk
Local Band Members performing Live Music in University City; sharing Music Videos! https://www.universitycitynews.org/2020/08/26/local-band-members-performing-live-music-in-university-city-sharing-music-videos/
Send your thanks and comments to the Concert Committee:
- Andy Freeburn – Concert Committee chair – email@example.com
- John Schindel – President, University City Parks Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg Pardue – Forecast – band liaison – email@example.com
- Rick Kern – Teaser – band liaison
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/parks-recreation-dept/