For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/miramar/
December 8, 2018: University City Neighbors host Memorial and Tree Dedication to Honor Victims of 2008 Jet Crash. Information posted at https://www.universitycitynews.org/2018/12/09/10-years-later-university-city-neighbors-host-memorial-and-tree-dedication-to-honor-victims-of-jet-crash/
From Diane Ahern, Miramar Community Leaders Forum, July 2018: If you have questions about operations at MCAS Miramar and you are on Twitter, I suggest you follow @3rdmaw, @1stMEF, and @MCASMiramarCA – the Twitter feeds for the third Marine Aircraft Wing, the first Marine Expeditionary Force, and MCAS Miramar. The social media accounts of many organizations are often updated and monitored in real time. Follow University City Community Association @UCCA_SD
MCAS Miramar Operations Department provides world class operational and service support excellence to all tenant organizations in order to facilitate achieving strategic combat readiness and training objectives. Our goal is to maintain meaningful, long-lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with our neighbors and the local community. [As stated on their website.]
- Current airfield and flight operations, including questions, noise complaints and other concerns about operations at MCAS Miramar, contact the Operations Duty Officer (ODO) by phone at the time of the incident at 858-577-4277 and provide details about the incident including date, time, location and type of aircraft.
- File noise and operations complaints and concerns electronically by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- General inquiries contact Communications Office at email@example.com; or call 858-577-6000
- Capt Matthew ‘Red Bull’ Gregory, Director of Communication, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar: firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-577-7541
- Major Josef Patterson, Director of Communication Strategy and Operations, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I MEF: email@example.com, 858-577-6847
- Community Plans & Liaison Office inquiries, contact Kristin Camper at MCAS Miramar 858-577-6609 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current photos and news from MCAS Miramar (with links to Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and DVIDS), visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
- Current press releases from MCAS Miramar, visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/
- FAA KNKX – MCAS Miramar (Joe Foss Field) Airport. For complete aeronautical information about Miramar MCAS (Joe Foss Field) Airport including flight operations, cautions and warnings. Also includes instrument approach and departure procedures in updated PDF format. Visit https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/services/ajv5/airportDisplay.jsp?airportId=knkx
- Contact the FAA through email or phone call to the FAA’s San Diego Flight Standards District Office at 7-AWP-SAN-FSDO@faa.gov or 858-502-9882.
- Meet with an FAA representative. Visit their website for more info at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/san/
- To file a safety or noise complaint at other area airports, including Montgomery Field, visit http://www.sandiego.gov/airports/noise/.
Air Show 2017 pictures courtesy of Ron Belanger: https://ronbelanger.smugmug.com/MCAS-Miramar-Blue-Angels-2017/
April 2017: MCAS Miramar accepting permit applications for Stowe Trail
MCAS Miramar is now accepting applications for permits to access the Stowe Trail, which is now open to those who have received a valid permit. The Stowe Trail parallels the eastern border of MCAS Miramar and is now marked with appropriate signs to facilitate access to the trail by members of the San Diego community who have obtained a valid permit.
Applications for permits must be submitted through the MCAS Miramar Provost Marshal’s Office. A valid permit is required for any person, 10 years of age and older, to legally access the Stowe Trail. This policy applies to active duty (and reserve) service members, retirees and civilians. For more information, including permit information, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2017/04/27/mcas-miramar-accepting-permit-applications-for-stowe-trail/
2016 Miramar Air Show pics and videos, courtesy of Ron Belanger at http://ronbelanger.smugmug.com/Blue-Angels-Miramar-2016
Welcome to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, home to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. Since October 1, 1997, Marines and Sailors have been living and working aboard the 23,000-acre facility. Miramar’s primary mission is to maintain and operate the facilities and provide services and material to support operations of the 3rd MAW and other tenant organizations. Read about MCAS Miramar history, commands, services and facilities, and recent news releases at http://www.mybaseguide.com/marines/49/mcas_miramar.
General aviation resources:
- DoD Noise Working Group: http://www.denix.osd.mil/dnwg/
- NoiseQuest: http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/
- Airport Data & Contact Information: http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/
- Aircraft Noise Issues: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/noise_emissions/airport_aircraft_noise_issues/
MCAS Miramar Air Installation Compatible Use Zones (AICUZ) available for review at http://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Encroachment/AICUZ/