- For related news posts from UCCA, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/miramar/
- For news and updated from MCAS Miramar, visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
Miramar Air Show 2020 cancelled; as posted June 22, 2020, via Facebook @MCASMiramarCA : Due to the continuing spread and health concerns of #COVID19, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar must formally announce the cancellation of the 2020 Miramar Air Show. It is a disappointment to us as well as many across the world, but the safety of our Marines and fellow San Diegans must come first. Even so, our team hopes to bring some of the best of Marine aviation and our longtime civilian performers to you this fall through our upcoming web-production. Stand by for 2020Vision this September. For additional information, visit https://www.miramarairshow.com/
How to find out what’s going on with current air traffic control: As published on the FAA website, aircraft departing MCAS Miramar are to fly a Standard Instrument Departure which requires a climbing right turn as soon as the aircraft is airborne. This keeps the aircraft safely east of the 805 boundary. The FAA and MCAS Miramar both control parts of the airspace adjacent to MCAS Miramar. When military aircraft are in positive control under the FAA’s jurisdiction (flying in airspace outside the MCAS Miramar boundary), the FAA has air traffic control authority over military aircraft. Residents can contact both the FAA and MCAS Miramar to ask about current air operations over areas outside of the MCAS Miramar boundary. Residents can also contact elected leaders.
FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Air Traffic Control:
- Call FAA Air Traffic Control: Call the FAA at 858-537-5800. Choose option 3 to speak with the Operations Manager in Charge with questions about current operations including why military aircraft are being routed over schools and residential areas? Or to request that Air Traffic Controllers not route MCAS Miramar departure and/or arrival aircraft over University City. Please note that the FAA ATC Operations Manager in Charge answers questions about current operations; the FAA Manager in Charge does not take noise complaints. Please note that all calls are recorded.
- Email FAA Air Traffic Control: To make inquiries about why military aircraft are directed over highly populated areas, you can email Mark Kuck (FAA) at Mark.Kuck@faa.gov.
- FAA KNKX – MCAS Miramar (Joe Foss Field) Airport. For complete aeronautical information about Miramar MCAS (Joe Foss Field) Airport including flight operations, cautions and warnings. Also includes instrument approach and departure procedures in updated PDF format. Visit https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/services/ajv5/airportDisplay.jsp?airportId=knkx
- FAA San Diego Flight Standards District Office at 7-AWP-SAN-FSDO@faa.gov or 858-502-9882.
- Meet with an FAA representative. Visit their website for more info at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/san/
- To file a safety or noise complaint at other area airports, including Montgomery Field, visit http://www.sandiego.gov/airports/noise/.
- Spring 2020, ADS-B Exchange at https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/ provides some flight data for aircraft activity in and out of MCAS Miramar. ADSBexchange.com is the worlds largest co-op of ADS-B/Mode S/MLAT feeders, and the world’s largest public source of unfiltered flight data.
- As of October 2016, WebTrak San Diego International Airport (http://webtrak5.bksv.com/san)* and WebTrak McClellan-Palomar Airport (http://webtrak5.bksv.com/crq) are no longer routinely tracking flight activity into and out of MCAS Miramar. (*Please note: WebTrak SAN has updated website at https://webtrak.emsbk.com/san). To view noise and safety complaints compiled by University City residents using a flight tracking system that provided flight identification information, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/mcas-miramar-noise-and-safety-complaints/
- Call MCAS Miramar Operations Duty Officer: Call Miramar for current airfield and flight operations, including questions, noise complaints and other concerns about operations at MCAS Miramar. Contact the Operations Duty Officer (ODO) by phone at the time of the incident at 858-307-4277 and provide details about the incident including date, time, location and type of aircraft.
- Email MCAS Miramar Operations Duty Officer: File noise and operations complaints and concerns electronically with MCAS Miramar by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCAS Miramar home page https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
- MCAS Miramar Noise Complaint page: https://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Noise-Complaints/
- Normal operating hours: Monday to Thursday until 1 AM. Please note updated operating hours, email contact, and phone numbers posted on MCAS Miramar website at https://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Noise-Complaints/
- General inquiries contact MCAS Miramar Communications Office at email@example.com; or call 858-307-6000
- Representative Scott Peters (federal) phone 858-455-5550 or email at https://scottpeters.house.gov/contact/email-me
- Community representative Jessica Brown at Jessica.Brown@mail.house.gov
- Councilmember Barbara Bry (city) phone 619-236-6611 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supervisor Kristin Gaspar (county) phone 619-531-5533 or email at email@example.com
- Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCAS Miramar FAQs from Miramar Communications Officer: MCAS Miramar FAQs April 2019
- Capt Matthew ‘Red Bull’ Gregory, Director of Communication, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar: email@example.com or 858-307-7541
- Major Josef Patterson, Director of Communication Strategy and Operations, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I MEF: firstname.lastname@example.org, 858-307-6847
- Community Plans & Liaison Office inquiries, contact Kristin Camper at MCAS Miramar 858-307-6609 or email email@example.com.
- Current photos and news from MCAS Miramar (with links to Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and DVIDS), visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
- Current press releases from MCAS Miramar, visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/
Lightning Strikes Miramar: 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing welcomes Corps’ first F-35C: 3rd Marine Air Wing made history when it welcomed the Marine Corps’ first F-35C Lightning II to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, January 21, 2020. For the full news story from DVIDS News, visit https://www.dvidshub.net/news/359904/lightning-strikes-miramar-3rd-marine-aircraft-wing-welcomes-corps-first-f-35c
EIR F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter at MCAS Miramar: West Coast Basing of F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter squadrons is expected at MCAS Miramar in 2020. For more information about the F-35 at MCAS Miramar and links to the Environmental Impact Statement (EIR), visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/final-environmental-impact-statement-eis-for-basing-f-35-squadrons-at-miramar-in-2020/
December 8, 2018: University City Neighbors host Memorial and Tree Dedication to Honor Victims of 2008 Jet Crash. Information posted at https://www.universitycitynews.org/2018/12/09/10-years-later-university-city-neighbors-host-memorial-and-tree-dedication-to-honor-victims-of-jet-crash/
Welcome to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, home to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. Since October 1, 1997, Marines and Sailors have been living and working aboard the 23,000-acre facility. Miramar’s primary mission is to maintain and operate the facilities and provide services and material to support operations of the 3rd MAW and other tenant organizations. Read about MCAS Miramar history, commands, services and facilities, and recent news releases at http://www.mybaseguide.com/marines/49/mcas_miramar.
General aviation resources:
- DoD Occupational Health and Safety – https://www.denix.osd.mil/references/dod/
- NoiseQuest: http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/
- Airport Data & Contact Information: http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/
- Aircraft Noise Issues: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/noise_emissions/airport_aircraft_noise_issues/
MCAS Miramar Air Installation Compatible Use Zones (AICUZ) available for review at http://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Encroachment/AICUZ/