For related news posts from UCCA, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/miramar/
For news and updated from MCAS Miramar, visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
How to file a Noise and Safety Complaint: As published on the FAA website, aircraft departing MCAS Miramar are supposed to fly a standard instrument departure which requires a climbing right turn as soon as the aircraft is airborne. This keeps the aircraft safely east of the 805 boundary.
The FAA and MCAS Miramar both control parts of the airspace adjacent to MCAS Miramar. When military aircraft are in positive control under the FAA’s jurisdiction, the FAA has air traffic control authority over military aircraft. Residents can file noise and safety complaints with both the FAA and MCAS Miramar. Residents can also contact elected leaders.
FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Air Traffic Control:
- FAA Air Traffic Control: Call the FAA at 858-537-5800. Choose option three to speak with the Operations Manager in Charge. Please note that all calls are recorded.
- FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FAA KNKX – MCAS Miramar (Joe Foss Field) Airport. For complete aeronautical information about Miramar MCAS (Joe Foss Field) Airport including flight operations, cautions and warnings. Also includes instrument approach and departure procedures in updated PDF format. Visit https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/services/ajv5/airportDisplay.jsp?airportId=knkx
- FAA San Diego Flight Standards District Office at 7-AWP-SAN-FSDO@faa.gov or 858-502-9882.
- Meet with an FAA representative. Visit their website for more info at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/san/
- To file a safety or noise complaint at other area airports, including Montgomery Field, visit http://www.sandiego.gov/airports/noise/.
MCAS Miramar Airport Operations:
- Call Miramar for current airfield and flight operations, including questions, noise complaints and other concerns about operations at MCAS Miramar. Contact the Operations Duty Officer (ODO) by phone at the time of the incident at 858-307-4277 and provide details about the incident including date, time, location and type of aircraft.
- File noise and operations complaints and concerns electronically by email at email@example.com
- General inquiries contact Communications Office at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call 858-307-6000
- MCAS Miramar home page https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
- MCAS Miramar Noise Complaint page: https://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Noise-Complaints/
- Normal operating hours: Monday to Thursday until 1 AM. Please note updated operating hours, email contact, and phone numbers posted on MCAS Miramar website at https://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Noise-Complaints/
Local elected and community leaders:
- Representative Scott Peters (federal) phone 858-455-5550 or email at https://scottpeters.house.gov/contact/email-me
- Community representative Jessica Brown at Jessica.Brown@mail.house.gov
- Councilmember Barbara Bry (city) phone 619-236-6611 or email at email@example.com
- Supervisor Kristin Gaspar (county) phone 619-531-5533 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation by email at email@example.com
Additional MCAS Miramar Contacts and information:
- MCAS Miramar FAQs from Miramar Communications Officer: MCAS Miramar FAQs April 2019
- Capt Matthew ‘Red Bull’ Gregory, Director of Communication, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar: firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-307-7541
- Major Josef Patterson, Director of Communication Strategy and Operations, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I MEF: email@example.com, 858-307-6847
- Community Plans & Liaison Office inquiries, contact Kristin Camper at MCAS Miramar 858-307-6609 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current photos and news from MCAS Miramar (with links to Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and DVIDS), visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/
- Current press releases from MCAS Miramar, visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/
Lightning Strikes Miramar: 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing welcomes Corps’ first F-35C: 3rd Marine Air Wing made history when it welcomed the Marine Corps’ first F-35C Lightning II to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, January 21, 2020. For the full news story from DVIDS News, visit https://www.dvidshub.net/news/359904/lightning-strikes-miramar-3rd-marine-aircraft-wing-welcomes-corps-first-f-35c
EIR F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter at MCAS Miramar: West Coast Basing of F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter squadrons is expected at MCAS Miramar in 2020. For more information about the F-35 at MCAS Miramar and links to the Environmental Impact Statement (EIR), visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/final-environmental-impact-statement-eis-for-basing-f-35-squadrons-at-miramar-in-2020/
December 8, 2018: University City Neighbors host Memorial and Tree Dedication to Honor Victims of 2008 Jet Crash. Information posted at https://www.universitycitynews.org/2018/12/09/10-years-later-university-city-neighbors-host-memorial-and-tree-dedication-to-honor-victims-of-jet-crash/
Welcome to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, home to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. Since October 1, 1997, Marines and Sailors have been living and working aboard the 23,000-acre facility. Miramar’s primary mission is to maintain and operate the facilities and provide services and material to support operations of the 3rd MAW and other tenant organizations. Read about MCAS Miramar history, commands, services and facilities, and recent news releases at http://www.mybaseguide.com/marines/49/mcas_miramar.
General aviation resources:
- DoD Occupational Health and Safety – https://www.denix.osd.mil/references/dod/
- NoiseQuest: http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/
- Airport Data & Contact Information: http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/
- Aircraft Noise Issues: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/noise_emissions/airport_aircraft_noise_issues/
MCAS Miramar Air Installation Compatible Use Zones (AICUZ) available for review at http://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Encroachment/AICUZ/