From Pia Mantovani-Sud: I would like to express my gratitude for all of you who came to the Memorial and Tree Dedication on December 8, 2018, to honor the victims of the military crash of 2008. Many of you found the event to be meaningful and helpful. A special thank you to Ruth DeSantis for getting the permit and planting, as well as for the funding, through UCCF, of the four jacaranda trees.
Thank you UCCA, UCCF, SD Park & Recreation Department, SD Fire, SD Police and all the elected officials and their representatives who came to remember with us, as well as the Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation.
From Barry Bernstein, UCCA President, December 8, 2018: Over a hundred University City area residents, along with many elected officials, first responders, San Diego Park and Recreation, U.S. Marines, and leaders of UCPG, UCCA, and ImproveUC/UCCF, were on hand to respectfully acknowledge the 10th Anniversary of the fatal crash in University City. At 11:58 AM, a moment of silence was observed after which four trees, donated by ImproveUC/UCCF, were officially dedicated in honor of the four members of the Yoon family who lost their lives in that fatal crash 10 years ago.
Pia Mantovani-Sud, a resident living across the street from the crash site, led the remembrance program. University City Community Association (UCCA) was proud to co-sponsor this event in conjunction with Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation (CASA).
[Screengrabs from Fox5: Memorial and Tree Dedication in University City; refer to link below.]*
A crash eyewitness reports from Bill Dusting and Ron Belanger and links to media coverage:
- Ron Belanger: December 8, 2008, crash timeline narrative, eyewitness account, photos and diagrams | https://www.universitycitynews.org/december-8-2008-mcas-miramar-f-18-fighter-jet-crashes-in-university-city/
- Bill Dusting: Video from a F18 crash eyewitness, “9 days after the F18 crash in San Diego, I retrace my steps. Doesn’t get much closer than that!” | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2YrCBcbKg
- ABC10: University City neighbors remember FA-18 crash tragedy | https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/university-city-neighbors-remember-fa-18-crash-tragedy
- CBS8: Memorial held for victims of 2008 University City jet crash | http://www.cbs8.com/story/39611186/memorial-held-for-victims-of-of-university-city-jet-crash
- *FOX5: Memorial held for victims of 2008 fighter jet crash | https://fox5sandiego.com/2018/12/08/sd-neighborhood-memorializes-victims-of-2008-military-jet-crash/
- KPBS: 10 Years Later, University City Residents Honor Victims Of F-18Crash | https://youtu.be/JrdbiNTFYs0
- NBC7: Trees Planted in Honor of Victims of University City Jet Crash 10Years Later | https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/fa-18-d-hornet-fighter-jet-crash-university-city-living-memorial-tree-502277241.html
- Email statement from MCAS Miramar Commanding Officer Cl Charles Dockery regarding 2008 F-18 crash | https://www.universitycitynews.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Email-statement-Cl-Dockery-regarding-2010-F-18-crash.pdf
- Union Tribune: A decade later, a San Diego neighborhood is still reeling from a tragic plane crash | https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-fa18-crash-10-years-later-20181208-story.html
For related posts from UCCA, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/miramar/