This month’s event highlights include Zentangle, Medical Cannabis, Energy in the Wind, Challenge Island and Check out Nature! “Check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive; there’s much more to do at our community libraries other than checking out books.
This month’s Featured Event: Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Thursday, January 31 from 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 1 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 2 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Events for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, January 4, 11, 18, 25 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, January 9 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Friday, January 11 @ 10:00 a.m. & Noon.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, January 12 & 26 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- OASIS: Medical Cannabis 101 – Learn how medical cannabis can be a healthier alternative, without the addictive tendencies of opioids. The course focuses on the medical application of cannabis and the science behind its effectiveness. The current landscape at the state and federal level will also be reviewed. Tuesday, January 15 @ 12:30 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Wednesday, January 23 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Zentangle! If you can draw lines and circles, you can Zentangle. This class will be an introduction to Zentangle. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, January 24 @ 1:00 p.m.
Events for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesday & Thursday@ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station is available in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- Challenge Island! How can you make a marble move sooo slooowly on a track? Come and find out as you brainstorm, design, test, and improve your Slowler Coaster Ride with your new tribemates. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, January 16 @ 2:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club – Come build anything you can image with LEGO. Thursday, January 17 @ 3:00 p.m.
- ThoughtSTEM – Kids (ages 7-10) will be learning how to code a space-themed video game in MIT’s Scratch programming language. They’ll learn how to create a space ship that a player can control to stop hordes of oncoming aliens. Thursday, January 29 @ 4:30 p.m.
- STEAM @ Your Library – Energy in the Wind. Can the wond be used as a source of power? Come build a wind generator and find out! Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, January 30 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, January 4, 11, 18 & 25 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Holiday Closures; book drops will remain open:L
- Library will be closed January 1 for New Year’s Day
- Library will be closed January 21 for Martin Luther King Day
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.