There’s so much more to do at our community libraries other than checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive:
February Special Events
- AARP Income Tax Return Preparation, Thursdays, February 7 to April 11, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Walk-in only, first come first served. Please bring all of your information and a copy of your 2017 tax return. Click on attached AARP Tax-Aide flyer for additional information.
- Concert of Romantic Music; Sunday, February 10 at 3:00 p.m. Adrienne Nims plays a medley of romantic music.
- Presidents’ Day, Monday, February 18: Library closed; book drops will be open.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club; Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle; Thursday, February 7 & 21 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club; Saturday, February 9 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed in December is The Mermaid Chair by Abraham Verghese.
- Guided Meditation; Sunday, February 10 & 24 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults; Sunday, February 10 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books; Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement; Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club; Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio; Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime; Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French; Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime; Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime; Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime; Friday, February 8 & 22 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime; Tuesday, February 11 & 25 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.