Pandemic or no pandemic, it seems like it’s always construction season in University City. Today we bring you construction and transportation/traffic updates courtesy of Shift San Diego. And to make it more interesting, we’re going to throw in a bonus quiz at the end.
Mid-Coast Trolley Construction, SANDAG Project:
- Genesee Avenue: All finishing work for the Trolley bridge along Genesee Avenue has been completed. Construction continues at the future Executive Drive and UTC Trolley stations. Additionally, crews are installing underground fire lines and irrigation lines along the roadway. Daytime and nighttime closures are ongoing, with daytime closures only being implemented as needed.
- Trolley Underpass at La Jolla Colony Drive: Crews have nearly completed construction activities at La Jolla Colony Drive! The roadway near the Trolley underpass has been repaved and restriped, and crash attenuators—bumper-style barriers that are placed to reduce damage to structures and vehicles in the event of a collision—have been installed. Later this month, crews will install final signage in the area.
North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood, UC San Diego Project: Night work continues along Muir College Drive and will require lane closures at the North Torrey Pines Road intersection. Traffic lanes adjacent to the intersection will be partially closed, with one lane in each direction remaining open to traffic. Construction will include a new storm drain in the northbound lane of North Torrey Pines Road and traffic signal and sidewalk improvements. Construction will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Fire Station 50, City of San Diego Project: Fire Station 50 is anticipated to open in November 2020. In the coming weeks, contractors will install elevators, continue landscaping work, and place concrete for the parking lot. Eastbound and westbound traffic along Nobel Drive may be impacted during the concrete work. Additionally, crews will complete internal finishes including lighting fixtures, HVAC controls, fire alarms, and station alerting systems.
For all the details from Shift San Diego, visit https://mailchi.mp/shiftsandiego.com/program-construction-update-july2020?e=bc900a6038
Here’s the challenge; where in the University City area are we? Can you match these photos with the proper photo caption?
- Genesee Avenue / Executive Drive Mid-Coast Trolley station simulation
- North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood, UC San Diego Project
- Trolley Underpass at La Jolla Colony Drive
- Fire Station 50, City of San Diego Project
We won’t give it away; if you don’t know for sure, you’ll have to verify at https://www.shiftsandiego.com/ and https://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/Mid-coast/midcoast-notices.aspx