It’s March and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just checking out books.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, March 13. Neighbor networking @ 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins @ 6 p.m.
- OASIS: Archaeology & the Bible – We can deepen our understanding of stories of the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) by investigating the time and place in which they were created. Using the archaeological record and historical events we can build a chronology for Biblical stories. This provides a “top-down,” historical approach to Biblical scholarship, rich in context. Thursday, March 14 @ 12:30 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. Wednesday, March 27 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Library Closed: Sunday/Monday March 31/April 1, CLOSED in observance of Cesar Chavez’s Birthday. Book drops remain open.
Events for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, March 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, March 9 & 23 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Friday, March 25 @ 10:00 a.m. & Noon.
- Zentangle! If you can draw lines and circles, you can Zentangle. This class will be an introduction to Zentangle. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Thursday, March 28 @ 12:00 p.m.
Events for Children
- Dr. Seuss Storytime. Join us for a special event when we will read Dr. Seuss books and do some crafts. Thursday, March 2 @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesday & Thursday @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- STEAM @ Your Library – Design and create a catapult from different materials such as wooden sticks, rubber bands and a spoons. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, March 6 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- LEGO Club – Come build anything you can imagine with LEGO. Thursday, March 14 @ 3:00 p.m.
- ThoughtSTEM – Kids will be learning how to code the game Frogger in MIT’s Scratch programming language. In addition to creating a frog character that can be controlled with the arrow keys, students will also learn how to code a points system so they can keep track of their score! Kids will exercise their creativity while they learn foundational computer science skills. Recommended for K-3rd. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, March 19 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, March 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 @ 3:00 p.m.
- ToshWerkS – D.I.Y Custom Key Chain Charms: Simply draw, trace or copy your very own design onto a Custom Transfer Sheet, bake … and WOW! Transform any image into a hardened piece of plastic that gets 9 times thicker and can be used for a fun keychain. Space is limited, please call 858- 552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, March 13 @ 2:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.