It’s April and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just checking out books. Please note the following changes to our schedule: Sunday and Monday March 31 and April 1, CLOSED in observance of Cesar Chavez’s Birthday. Book drops remain open.
- Concert: Adrienne Nims and Spirit Wind – Multi-instrumentalist Adrienne Nims plays contemporary and world jazz, both as a solo artist and with her band, Spirit Wind. Nims has been a musician since the age of five and has opened for such greats as Spyro Gyra, Al Dimeola, Najee and Joe Cocker. Wednesday, April 3 @ 6:30 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, April 10 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Programming for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, April 5, 12, 19 & 26 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- The Big Read Imagine Create and Write Out Loud present a short pop-up performance piece by Grossmont College theatre students. Saturday, April 6, Reception @ 10:00 a.m. and Performance @ 10:45 a.m.
- Classics Book Club will be discussing selected poems by Robert Frost. Monday, April 8 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Saturday, April 13 & 27 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- OASIS: The Environment and the Future – In this lecture we will examine the threats to our planet from our deteriorating infrastructure, the consequences of human impact on the environment, and the responses required to save civilization. Tuesday, April 16 @ 12:30 p.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, April 22 @ 10:00 a.m. & Noon.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann. Wednesday, April 24 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Zentangle! If you can draw lines and circles, you can Zentangle. This class will be an introduction. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Thursday, April 25 @ 12:00 p.m.
Programming for Children
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesday & Thursday @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Spring into STEAM: Create-A-Creature – See how sea life has adapted to their unique environment and use this knowledge to create a creature of your own! Recommended for 9-12 years old, space is limited, sign up on the SDPL homepage to RSVP. Wednesday, April 3 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Craft a paper bunny, put it on your fingers and help it grab some carrots. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, April 9 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Spring into STEAM: Making Waves – Marine plants reduce global warming and provide our atmosphere. Learn about the science behind these funky plants at this Spring into Steam event! Recommended for 9-12 years old, space is limited, sign up on the SDPL homepage to RSVP. Tuesday, April 10 @ 2:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club – Come build anything you can imagine with LEGO. Thursday, April 11 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Wild Wonders – Come take a walk on the wild side, when Wild Wonders and their animal ambassadors visit our library! There’s no telling what animals you might see! Wednesday, April 17 @ 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 17 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, April 5, 12, 19 & 26 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Paper Folding Craft – Kids will learn briefly about radial symmetry in addition to several simple paper-folding techniques. Using their knowledge about radial symmetry and their creativity, kids will make a relief sculpture by arranging the papers that they have folded into a colorful and symmetrical design. Recommended for 8 years or older, space is limited. Please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, April 15 @ 3:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.