Update posted 11/02/2019: It’s UCCA’s understanding that the golf course and surrounding housing are subject to Conditional Use Permit (CUP) No. 98-0408. UCCA (Diane Ahern) did a search on the City’s website for ” Conditional Use Permit (CUP) No. 98-0408 ” and found this PDF dated October 27, 2016 : https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/pc-16-087_la_jolla_del_tm.pdf
Page 17 of the document (part of attachment 7) shows an image of the property with three story apartment buildings on the east side of Gullstrand and two pools overlooking the golf course (lot 14). Take a look at:
Before falling into disrepair, Town Park Villas Golf Course (on Gullstrand at Governor) was a popular neighborhood draw for all levels of golfers. Among the golf course closings in San Diego, this likely will be the quietest. At sundown Thursday (October 31), the Town Park Villas Golf Course will shut down. Believed to be more than 50 years old and previously known as University City Village, the nine-hole par-3 track has mostly served golfers in University City and its surrounding neighborhoods.
That’s the excerpt; for the full story from the San Diego Union Tribune, visit https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/golf/story/2019-10-30/university-city-town-park-golf-course-closing
University City Community Association (UCCA) is not aware of any organized opposition to the closing of the golf course at this time; but certainly there is a lot of personal opposition. We are currently suggesting that community members attend upcoming community meetings to raise awareness and meet up with other community members.
Public Meetings – November 2019
- Rep Scott Peters Town Hall – Wednesday, November 6, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Please arrive by 5:45), University City High School, 6949 Genesee Avenue, San Diego, CA 92122. Due to fire safety codes, room occupancy is limited; tickets are required; no cost. Please use this link to RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/town-hall-with-rep-scott-peters-tickets-76965555047; submit comments and questions in advance
- UCPG – University City Planning Group – meets 2nd Tuesday in November; does not meet in December; 2 minute open comment period; info at https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- UCCA – University City Community Association – meets 2nd Wednesday in November; does not meet in December; 2 minutes open comment period; November guest speaker is Councilmember Barbara Bry; info at https://www.universitycitynews.org/; meets at library on Governor; 5:30 PM networking; 6 PM meeting; usually attended by SD Police and SD Fire and local elected leaders (SD City Council rep, legislative leaders)
- CPUS – University Community Plan Update Subcommittee – meets 3rd Tuesday in November; does not meet in December; 2 minute open comment period; info at https://www.planuniversity.org/; meets at UC High School; 5:30 PM networking; 6 PM meeting
- Councilmember Barbara Bry – 619-236-6611 and email@example.com; her website provides contact links to mayor and other councilmembers as well as to her Twitter and Facebook sites. https://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/cd1