It’s December and time to “check out” these many free programs, events and activities at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books. This month, check out the OASIS program on December 3, the Fire Safe Council on December 3, the Jewish Men’s Choir on December 4, and the Sharp Talk on December 5.
Programming for Adults
- Classic Book Club will be discussing The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Monday, December 2 @ 3:30 p.m.
- OASIS: Home Front San Diego in World War II – The City of San Diego was profoundly changed by World War II. The population nearly doubled between 1940 and 1943. During that period, 1,500 people per week were moving into San Diego and entire new neighborhoods, such as Linda Vista, grew up. Tuesday, December 3 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Fire Safe Council – Tuesday, December 3 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Concert: San Diego Jewish Men’s Choir will perform a variety of well-loved Jewish songs in the Hebrew, Ladino, English, and Yiddish languages. Wednesday, December 4 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Tech Help – Looking for help with SDPL apps? Have a problem setting up an email account? General computer questions? Look no further than our Thursdays Tech Help program. Thursday, December 5 @ 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Sharp Talk – Thursday, December 5 @ 4:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, December 6, 13, 20 & 27 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – No meeting in December; next meeting is the 2nd Wednesday in January.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month and all are welcome. Saturday, December 14 & 28 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, December 16 @ 12:00.
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Artist Spotlight – Monthly program where we enjoy the work of an artist and create a piece of art inspired by the work. Designed for ages 7 and up. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, December 9 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Snow globe ornaments. Using precut pieces, kids will design, color, and create a glittery snow globe that they can shake and display. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, December 4 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. The kids will be designing a snowflake. Designed for ages 7 and up. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, December 18 @ 2:00.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. On Fridays @ 3:00 p.m.
Please note the following holiday closures: Wednesday, December 25; Wednesday, January 1; Monday, January 20. Book drops will remain open and available for book returns.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.