- Qi Gong – Every Monday @ 9:30 – 11:30 AM (except July 20). Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition.
- Zumba for Special Needs and Beginners – Every Monday @ 1:00 – 2:00 PM. Led by Lis Garces a licensed Zumba® instructor since 2007. Lis is the Founder and Director of the Juan Carlos Organization which provides dance therapy exercise for the Special Needs Community.
- Adult Yoga – Every Tuesday @ 4:30 – 5:30 PM. Gentle exercises to aid flexibility and improve concentration. Bring a yoga mat or towel.
- Chair Sit Yoga – Tuesday July 7, 21, August 4, 18 @ 2:00 – 3:00 PM. Get fit where you sit! Chair yoga is a gentle form of yoga that is practiced sitting on a chair or standing using a chair for support.
- Strategies to Maximize Your Social Security Income – Tuesday July 7 @ 6:30 – 7:30 PM. A workshop to learn social security strategies that could maximize your lifetime benefits. Call 1-800-955-0934 to RSVP.
- Accordion Club – Saturday July 11, August 8 @ 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. All are welcome! Second Saturdays.
- OASIS: There’s No Place Like MY Home – Thursday July 9 @ 2:00 – 3:30 PM. Examples and products to help maintain safety.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale – July 16 – 18 (Thurs. 1:00 – 5:30, Fri. 9:30 – 5:30, Sat. 9:30 – 2:30). Support your library and buy books, music CD’s, DVD’s, etc. at our book sale.
- SilverWood Concert – Tuesday July 21 @ 6:30 – 7:30 PM. SilverWood is known for its full, rich sound and stirring rhythms performed over a wide spectrum of music styles.
- UC Book Club – Wednesday July 22, August 26 @ 2:00 PM. July’s book is Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Remains of the Day. The August book is Alexandra Fuller’s Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight.
- Online Security for Seniors – Thursday July 23, August 27 @ 2:00 – 4:00 PM. How to protect your computer and yourself on the internet.
- Scrabble Club – Tuesday July 28, August 25 @ 5:00 – 8:00 PM. All welcome! Bring your own board and meet new friends!
- San Diego Symphony – Wednesday August 5 @ 6:00 PM. A small ensemble performing a 45 minute concert followed by a Q & A session.
- OASIS: Chronic Disease – Thursday August 20 @ 2:00 PM. Dr. Joy will share with you how acupuncture and Chinese medicine can be added to your treatment plan.
- Preschool StoryTime for Kids – Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 AM. Stories, crafts, finger plays and songs.
- Makerspace Craft Station – All week long (Monday – Saturday), a craft station in the Children’s Area during library hours with a different craft each week.
- Kendama Club – Every Wednesday @ 1:30 – 2:30 PM. Test your skills against others, learn new tricks and just have FUN!!!
- Video Game Fridays – Every Friday @ 3:00 – 4:00 PM. Wii gaming with your friends, get your game on!
- SD Book Arts – Tuesday July 14 @ 6:00 PM. Read to the Rhythm Turkish Map Fold insert. Learn the traditional and magical map fold. The paper will be decorated with musical artwork and a quote on the topic. Please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP.
Summer Reading Programs
- Disney Animated Musical Movie – Friday July 10, 24, 31, August 7 and 14 @ 1:00 PM. Sing-a-long with your favorite Disney characters.
- Magician Justin Rivera – Wednesday July 1 @ 2:00 PM. A nationally recognized professional magician and comedian, who has performed on several television shows and on stage at clubs and events.
- Bayou Brothers – Wednesday July 8 @ 2:00 PM. With a sound straight out of Louisiana, Bayou Brothers will get you dancing.
- Mad Science – Wednesday July 15 @ 2:00 PM. Mad Science delivers a unique, hands-on experience both entertaining and educational.
- Sparkles the Clown – Wednesday July 22 @ 2:00 PM. An Award-winning clown, Sparkles has been clowning around since 1987!
- Little Catbird – Wednesday July 29 @ 2:00 PM. Little Catbird presents Rhythm Red Riding Hood! It features original music, early jazz music, puppets and more surprises!
- Scott Land – Wednesday August 5 @ 2:00 PM. Marionettes ‘come to life’, with fun and excitement; an entertaining and artistic experience.
- Summer Reading Program Finale – Wednesday August 12 @ 2:00 PM. Craig Newton plays an incredible variety of musical instruments to accompany delightful songs about following your dreams; followed by light refreshments and Free Spirit the Clown providing face painting and balloon-twisting from 3:00 – 4:00 PM.
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the libraries to confirm any given program. Changes are rare, but may occur. Libraries will be CLOSED July 3 and July 4, Independence Day.
What do Facebook, Twitter, Nextdoor, ImproveUC and UCCA have in common? They are all ways neighbors can connect with neighbors and the University City community.
Create a post, start a conversation, share the news, organize an event, keep in touch. Take a look:
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/universitycitycommunityassociation
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/UCCA_SD
- Nextdoor – https://nextdoor.com/sandiego/
- ImproveUC – http://improveuc.org/
- UCCA – https://www.universitycitynews.org/