Holiday closure: Library will be closed on Friday/Saturday, March 30/31, in observance of Cesar Chavez’s birthday. Book drops remain open and available on holidays.
There’s much more to do at our community libraries than check out books. “Check out” these many free events:
- Chess Club – Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- AARP Tax Prep – Thursday, April 5 & 12. Free income tax preparation service provided by AARP. Walk-in only, first come first served. Please bring all of your information and a copy of your 2016 tax return.
- Knitters’ Circle – Thursday, April 5 & 19 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Guided Meditation – Sunday, April 8 & 22 at 12:30 p.m. 20 minute guided meditation followed by tea.
- Page Turners Book Club – Wednesday, April 11 at 6:00 p.m. Title to be discussed is Grandma Gatewood’s Walk by Ben Montgomery.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club – Saturday, April 14 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed is Four Friends by Robyn Carr.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults – Sunday, April 15 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Cinema Café – Wednesday, April 18 at 6:00 p.m. Enjoy refreshments while watching and discussing a thought-provoking movie. Please call the library for the month’s selected feature.
- Babies and Books – Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement – Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club – Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio – Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime – Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French – Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Chinese Storytime – Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime – Monday, April 9 & 23 at 10:30 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- STEAM2 Academy – Tuesday, April 10 at 3:00 p.m. The subject for April is Farm Science.
- Sign Language Storytime – Thursday, April 12 at 10:00 a.m. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime – Tuesday, April 17 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.