“Check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive; there’s much more to do at our community libraries than just check out books.
Special Events and Announcement
Pastel Art Show and Reception: Pastel art by local community college students. Saturday, November 3 @ 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Concert: The Swingin’ with Dean Show. Enjoy classics and oldies music from the 1940s through the 1980s with the multi-talented Dean Ratzman. Wednesday, November 7 @ 6:30 p.m.
Volunteer Opportunity: Friends of the Library are looking for volunteers to help with different projects. Please call the library at 858-552-1655 for more information.
Events for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, November 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, November 14 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. Wednesday, November 28 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesday & Thursday@ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Makerspace Craft Station in the Children’s Area with a different craft each week. All week long (Monday – Saturday).
- ThoughtSTEM – Kids will be learning how to code a pet-themed project in Scratch programming language. They’ll be able to create animated stories about their favorite pet dog, cat, turtle, or any pet they have! Kids will exercise their creativity while they learn foundational computer science skills. Recommended for K-2 grades. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, November 27 @ 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Events for Tweens/Teens
- STEAM @ Your Library – Fold a World Record paper airplane and learn how it flies. Everyone will learn how to fold the paper airplane that holds the world record for longest paper airplane flight (over 226 feet!). We will also discuss general principles of flight and experiment with different modifications to discover what factors affect how paper airplanes fly. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, November 7 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Girls Who Code Club – These are programs for 6th to 12th grade girls to explore coding in a fun and friendly way. Tuesday, November 13 @ 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Challenge Island! Travel back in time; time destination is 1972. There were no video games back then but there was Pinball! Join the other kids and be part of a tribe to take on the Pinball Wizard Way challenge using only the materials in your tribal chest and your creativity! Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, November 14 @ 2:00 p.m.
Library Holiday Closures
- Library will be closed November 12 for Veterans Day
- Library will be closed November 22 for Thanksgiving Day
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.