It’s February and time to “check out” these many free programs, events and activities at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our local library. It’s not just about checking out books. Please note that on Monday, February 17, the library will be closed for Presidents’ Day; Book Drops are available for book returns.
Programs for Adults/Seniors
- Classics Book Club—join this month as we read A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Monday, Feb. 3 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Tech Help – Looking for help with SDPL apps? Have a problem setting up an email account? General computer questions? Look no further than our Thursdays walk-in Tech Help @ 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Introduction to Zentangle. A fun, meditative drawing class that requires no prior art experience. No supplies cost. Call library to RSVP. Monday, Feb. 10 @ 12:00 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, Feb. 12 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Macrame Class – Make a small plant holder to take home with you. FREE. Saturday, Feb. 15 @ 1:00 p.m.
- OASIS San Diego: The Natural Wonders of Antarctica. Go on a photographic tour of the Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia Island and the Falkland Islands. Wednesday, Feb. 19 @ 12:30 p.m.
- Adult Crafts with Rem: Glass Jar Etching. Take home a nifty craft with many uses! Space is limited, please call library to RSVP. Monday, Feb. 24 @ 12:00 p.m.
- OASIS San Diego: Shingles: a better vaccine is here – Learn how shingles starts, who is at risk and how to avoid it. Find out about a more effective shingles vaccine that was released in December 2017. Tuesday, Feb. 25 @ 12:30 p.m.
- UC Book Club will discuss The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Wednesday, Feb. 26 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Qi Gong (chi gong), a simple preventative method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. Fridays @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Saturday, Feb. 8 & 22 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Programs for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will help student. Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Library NExT – Your Amazing Brain. Students will explore the anatomy of our brains and experience first-hand how our brains communicate with our senses. Space is limited, RSVP on the SDPL website. Tuesday, Feb. 4 @ 4:00 p.m.—7:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will make two cute bears. Space is limited, please call (858) 552-1655 to RSVP and for craft information. Wednesday, Feb. 5 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Artist Spotlight – Monthly program where we enjoy the work of an artist and create a piece of art inspired by the work. Designed for ages 7 and up. Space is limited, please call (858) 552-1655 to RSVP. Friday, Feb. 28 @ 2:30 p.m.
Programs for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Play video games on the Nintendo Switch with friends. Friday, Feb. 7, 14, 21 & 28 @ 3:00 p.m.
- NEW!! Teen Time – Activities and crafts in the community room just for teens. Thursday, Feb. 13 @ 3:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
- San Diego Public Library : sandiego.gov/public-library
- University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- San Diego Public Library news and events : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please contact the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.