It’s February and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs, activities and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. Please note that the Library is closed on Monday, February 17 for Presidents’ Day. Bookdrops (for book returns) will remain open 24/7.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, Feb. 6 & 20 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Free Tax Prep Help provided by AARP, Thursday, Feb. 6 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Free Tax Prep Help provided by AARP volunteers. Walk-in only for same-day help. Every Thursday through April 9.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, Feb. 9 & 23 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Free Health Workshop presented by Sharp HealthCare: Senior Resources in San Diego, Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 5:30 p.m. Learn about resources that can help seniors remain independent at home for as long as possible. Call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277) or visit sharp.com/citywellness.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, Feb. 8 at 10:00 a.m. Title is Turtles All the Way Down by John Green.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, Feb. 16 at 1:00 p.m. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Aloha Ukulele Strummers, Friday, Feb. 21 at 11:30 a.m. Enjoy a fun strum-along with fellow ukulele players! Music provided. Familiar songs, Hawaiian songs, oldies all played.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, Feb. 22 at 1:00 p.m. Title is Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs & movement; build motor skill, increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. For grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. A fun art project every week! This program is limited to 20 participants. Signups begin same day when the library opens. Grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, Feb. 7 & 21 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both body and mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Bring your own mat.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637
- San Diego Public Library : sandiego.gov/public-library
- North University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- San Diego Public Library news and events : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please contact the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.