Update 03/13/2020: From San Diego Public Library @SDPublicLibrary : In line with County health guidelines to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the San Diego Public Library has canceled all programs and events through March 31, 2020. This applies to all 36 SD Public Library locations. For more information, call your local library or visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library
It’s March and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs, activities and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. Please note that the library will be closed Tuesday, March 31 for Cesar Chavez Day. Book Drops are available 24/7 for book returns.
Free Tax Prep Help provided by AARP, Thursdays, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Free Tax Prep Help provided by AARP volunteers. Walk-in only for same-day help. You may wait or sign-up for one date in the future. Every Thursday through April 9.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, March 5 & 19 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, March 8 & 22 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, March 7 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed is The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai,
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, March 15 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Aloha Ukulele Strummers. Friday, March 20 at 11:30 a.m. Enjoy a fun strum-along with fellow ukulele players! Music provided. Familiar songs, Hawaiian songs, oldies all played.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, March 21 at 1:00 p.m. Title to be discussed is Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. A fun art project every week! Due to space limitations, this program is limited to 20 participants. Signups begin same day when the library opens. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French. Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime. Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, March 13 & 27 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637
- San Diego Public Library : sandiego.gov/public-library
- North University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- San Diego Public Library news and events : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please contact the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.