Update 03/13/2020: From San Diego Public Library @SDPublicLibrary : In line with County health guidelines to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the San Diego Public Library has canceled all programs and events through March 31, 2020. This applies to all 36 SD Public Library locations. For more information, call your local library or visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library
Update 03/13/2020: The upcoming Friends of the UC Library (4155 Governor Dr), scheduled for March 26, 27, 28, is cancelled. We hope to be able to reschedule in the near future. In the meantime, we cannot accept book donations as we are out of storage space. Our daily sales, though will continue as long as the library remains open, and will be restocked with new material from the wonderful donations we have already received. So, come in and stock up from our hallway shelves. Stay well!
It’s March and time to “check out” these many free programs, events and activities at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our local library. It’s not just about checking out books. Please note that the library will be closed Tuesday, March 31 for Cesar Chavez Day. Book Drops are available for book returns.
March Events for Adults
- Tech Help – Looking for help with SDPL apps? Have a problem setting up an email account? General computer questions? Look no further than our Thursdays walk-in Tech Help program. No appointment needed. Wednesday, March 4, 11 & 18 @ 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Concert: Doug Beaupre – Enjoy well-known songs written by singer-songwriters such as James Taylor, John Denver, Loggins and Messina, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, Billy Joel, Elton John, and many more. Wednesday, March 4 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Qi Gong (chi gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, March 6, 13, 20 & 27 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Succulent Swap – Bring some of your own succulents and swap them out with others. Saturday, March 7 @ 2:00 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, March 11 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Saturday, March 14 @ 9:30 a.m.
- Introduction to Zentangle – A fun, meditative drawing class that requires no prior art experience. No supplies cost. Call library to RSVP. Monday, March 16 @ 12:00 p.m.
- OASIS: Women in Aztec Society – This lecture highlights the roles and everyday life of Mesoamerican women and how they lived before the European conquest, particulary in the region of the Valley of Mexico before 1492. Tuesday, March 17 @ 12:00 p.m.
- Elder Fraud Scam/Scheme Prevention and Education – This presentation is provided by the San Diego District Attorney’s Office and will cover the top ten scams targeting members of the community. Wednesday, March 18 @ 6:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will discuss The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai. Wednesday, March 25 @ 2:00 p.m.
March Events for Children
- Live! Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will assemble a small shadow box out of cardstock and acetate to make an aquarium. Then they will create an underwater scene with fish, plants, and accessories they color with markers and colored pencils. Using narrow acetate strips kids can arrange their aquarium creatures to appear as if they are swimming in the aquarium. Space is limited, please call (858) 552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, March 4 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- ToshWerkS in here and we will be making beautiful a Sun Catcher from wax shavings, pressed flowers and leaves. Space is limited, please call (858) 552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, March 18 @ 2:00 p.m.
March Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, March 6, 13 & 20 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Teen Time – Activities and crafts in the community room just for teens. This month we will be doing Glass Etching, learn how to customize glassware with glass etching. Space is limited, please call (858) 552-1655 to RSVP. Thursday, March 12 @ 3:30 p.m.
March Friends of the Library Book Sale –The Friends of the UC Library (4155 Governor Dr) is cancelled. We hope to be able to reschedule in the near future. In the meantime, we cannot accept book donations as we are out of storage space. Our daily sales, though will continue as long as the library remains open, and will be restocked with new material from the wonderful donations we have already received. So, come in and stock up from our hallway shelves. Stay well!
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
- San Diego Public Library : sandiego.gov/public-library
- University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- San Diego Public Library news and events : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please contact the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.