The PDF version of the May University City News will be posted here, on the University City News website, as soon as it’s available. The print version of the newsletter will be available for distribution the first weekend of May; Friday or Saturday, May 6 or 7, 2022. While you wait, here’s a short summary of May 2022 news and events.
From UCCA President Diane Ahern: Hello University City, it’s May and a month to Celebrate, Commemorate, Contemplate, and Contribute. Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring mothers as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. Happy Mother’s Day to all our University City moms. Memorial Day is a time to commemorate and honor those who have died serving in the United States military. Our hearts go out to the families of all who have served.
This issue of University City News is full of news that may cause you to contemplate our past, present, and future. You’ll find information about the opening on the Standley Aquatic Center and the upcoming June primary election. UCCA hosted a D6 Candidate Forum and you’ll find City Council candidate and voting information.
I think it’s safe to say we were all surprised by the City Planning Department’s option for re-zoning parts for Governor Drive. Much of this May issue features news and thought-provoking articles about the University City community plan update. Guest columnists this month include Andy Wiese, Debby Knight, Jane L. Glasson, Kent Lee, Tommy Hough, Jennifer Martin-Roff, Richard Carson, Aidan Lin, Helen Lebowitz, Lisa Perry, Ron Belanger, Jayna Lee, Roger Cavnaugh, Katie Rodolico, and Chris Nielsen. Many thanks to all our community contributors.
UCCA will host a public meeting via Zoom on Wednesday, May 11, at 6 p.m. Our focus will be housing legislation, proposals, and options; and a presentation by the Humane Society and the new Park Patrol.
The May issue of University City News is full of local news and information that you won’t find anywhere else. UCCA thanks the many community contributors, advertisers, UCCA members, and volunteers who make our print newsletter possible. If you haven’t renewed your UCCA membership for 2022, you’ll find the membership coupon in this issue. Have a great month; thanks to all who help to make University City more than just a neighborhood.
Please note, as of May 2, 2022, the City Planning Department has not published information about the May Community Plan Update meeting. For the most up-to-date information, visit the City website at https://www.planuniversity.org/meetings
In Case We Missed It: UCCA gets updates and news from local University City groups and community contributors throughout the month. Please send us your University City News at UniversityCityNews@gmail.com.
May 2022 Save the Date (additional information in the print newsletter PDF and posted on the UCCA website at www.UnivesityCityNews.org):
- May 2022 – University Community and North University libraries begin their monthly program schedule.
- University Community Library on Governor: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Library on Judicial: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- May 2022 – Pools and Parks and Recreation Centers begin their monthly program schedule.
- Doyle Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Nobel Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Standley Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
- Swanson Memorial Pool: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/swanson-memorial-pool
- Standley Aquatic Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/standley-aquatic-center
- Monday, May 2 – Budget Town Hall Meeting with CM LaCava via Zoom at 6 PM. Register at https://bit.ly/D1FY23BTH
- Sunday, May 8 – Mother’s Day suggestions from San Diego . org at https://www.sandiego.org/campaigns/spring-break/mothers-day.aspx
- Monday, May 9 – Early Voting Begins for June 7 Primary Election: https://www.sdvote.com/
- Tuesday, May 10 – UCPG (Planning Group) at 6 PM; when available, the agenda will be posted on City website at https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- Wednesday, May 11 – UCCA (Community Association) at 6 PM via Zoom. UCCA’s focus will be housing legislation, proposals, and options; and presentations by ElderHelp (Senior Services) snd by the Humane Society Law Enforcement (Park Patrol. When finalized, the agenda will be posted on the University City News site at https://www.universitycitynews.org/2022/05/08/ucca-agenda-for-may-11-2022-community-meeting-to-focus-on-housing-and-public-safety-your-suggestions-welcome/
- Thursday, May 12 – Parks Council (UCPC) at 7 PM; location to be determined. All are welcome. To get on the email list, contact email@example.com
- Wednesday, May 18 – UC Celebration (4th of July) at 7 PM at the Standley Recreation Center. All are welcome. For more information, visit http://uccelebration.com/
- Saturday, May 21 – Budget Town Hall Meeting with CM LaCava at Nobel Rec Center, at 10 AM. Register at https://bit.ly/D1FY23BTH
- Thursday, May 26 – Standley Community Recreation Group at 7 PM at the Standley Recreation Center. All are welcome. For more information, email the Center director at Rhughes@sandiego.gov
- Monday, May 30 – Mt. Soledad Memorial Day at 11 AM: https://soledadmemorial.org/
June 2022 Save the Date:
- Saturday, June 4 – UC Community Garage Sale; contact sponsor at ColdwellBankerUC@gmail.com
- Tuesday, June 7 – Primary Election: https://www.sdvote.com/
The PDF May Newsletter (when available) will be posted here: universitycitynews.org/ucca-newsletter-archives
Take a look at the updates we’ve posted on our University City News at https://universitycitynews.org/category/university-city-news-ucca/
Have a great month. We hope to see you soon at one of our many community events and meetings. We are University City 92122 and we are more than just a neighborhood.