From the City of San Diego website: Pure Water San Diego is the City of San Diego’s phased, multi-year program that will provide nearly half of San Diego’s water supply locally by the end of 2035. The Pure Water San Diego Program will use proven water purification technology to clean recycled water to produce safe, high-quality drinking water. The Program offers a cost-effective investment for San Diego’s water needs and will provide a reliable, sustainable water supply.
Phase 1 Projects of the Pure Water Program includes 10 different projects that will clean recycled water to produce 30 million gallons per day of high-quality purified water, reducing the City’s dependence on imported water.
- Morena, Bay Park and Clairemont: The Morena Pump Station, Morena Pipelines Southern Alignment, and Morena Pipelines Middle Alignment will be constructed in the Bay Park, Morena and Clairemont communities of San Diego. The Morena Pump Station will divert wastewater to the North City facilities that would otherwise be treated and discharged into the ocean. The Morena Pipelines include two 10.5-mile pipelines: one wastewater pipeline, which will carry wastewater north to the North City facilities for purification, and one brine line that will carry the biproduct from water purification south to the Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- University City and Eastgate Mall: The Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels, North City Water Reclamation Plant (NCWRP) Expansion, the NCWRP Flow Equalization Basin and North City Pure Water Facility (NCPWF) and Pump Station projects will be built in the University City community. The Northern Alignment will divert 32 million gallons per day (mgd) of wastewater that would otherwise be treated and discharged into the ocean to the North City Water Reclamation Plant, where it will be treated to recycled water standards.
- Genesee Avenue in Clairemont and University City: The Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels will connect to the Morena Pipelines Middle Alignment to the south and the North City Water Reclamation Plant to the north. This project begins on Genesee Avenue between Appleton Street and state Route 52 and continues on Genesee Avenue, Nobel Drive, Towne Centre Drive and Executive Drive. Tunneling will be completed at Genesee Avenue and SR-52, at Genesee Avenue and Rose Canyon, and under Interstate 805.
- University City: July 7, 2022 – Pipeline Work Scheduled on Executive Drive for Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels
- University City: Aug. 5, 2022 – Pipeline Work Scheduled on Executive Drive and Towne Centre Drive for Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels
- University City: Sept. 30, 2022 – Full Intersection Closure at Executive Drive and Judicial Drive for Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels Project
- Clairemont (Genesee): Oct. 20, 2022 – Pipeline Work to Begin on Genesee Avenue and Appleton Street for the Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels Project
- Scripps Ranch and Miramar: The pipeline will start at Eastgate Mall and follow Miramar Road to Kearny Villa Road and continue along Candida Street to Via Pasar and then Via Excelencia. From there, the pipeline will continue under Interstate 15 and along Business Park Avenue to Carroll Canyon Road and follow Hoyt Park Drive to Meanley Drive before crossing Scripps Lake Drive to the Miramar Reservoir.
- Social media Facebook Pure Water: https://www.facebook.com/PureWaterSD
- Presentation to UC Planning Group: Pure Water – UCPG Presentation – Draft – 11-8-22_PDF
- Presentation to UC Community Association: UCCA Nov 2022 – Pure Water Presentation to UCCA