It’s May and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. Please note the following changes to our schedule: Library will be closed on Monday May 27, 2019, in observance of Memorial Day. Book drops will remain open.
- Free Comic Book Day, Saturday, May 4. San Diego Public Library is participating in Free Comic Book Day! Stop by and pick up some great titles! Plus, we’ll have a fun art project from 11 a.m. to 12 noon.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, May 2 & 16 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, May 11 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed is The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, May 12 & 26 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Dramatic Readers Group, Wednesday, May 8 at 3:00 p.m. New members are always welcome at this fun and entertaining meeting of the Dramatic Readers. This month the group is reading the play Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, May 19 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, May 25 at 1:00 p.m. Title to be discussed is The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Select Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. (please call to confirm schedule). Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime, Tuesday, May 14 & 28 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, May 10 & 24 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Paws to Read, Monday, May 20 at 4:30 p.m. Therapy dogs provided by Love on a Leash (Central San Diego Chapter) foster a supportive environment for emerging readers.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.