It’s May and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books. Please note the following changes to our schedule: Library will be closed on Monday May 27, 2019, in observance of Memorial Day. Book drops will remain open.
Special Community Event
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, May 8 @ 5:30 for networking; meeting from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Events for Adults
- Concert: Anthony Smith – Master of the Vibe (vibraphone). Following the successful release of his book, Masters of the Vibes: Conversations with Great, Living Jazz Vibraphonists; Anthony Smith brings his skill and love of jazz to the vibraphone in this great performance. Wednesday, May 1 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, May 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, May 11 & 25 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Making Sense of Science – Come for a fun, informative and interactive class and see what real DNA looks like, learn about the tools and methods scientists use to make amazing discoveries, and understand how genes, genotypes and the epigenome connect together. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Part 1 on Wednesday, May 15 @ 6:00 p.m. Part 2 on Wednesday, May 22 @ 6:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will be discussing Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie. Wednesday, May 22 @ 2:00 p.m.
Events for Children
- Spring into STEAM: Go Beneath the Waves with Minecraft – Enjoy coding your own aquarium and coral reef habitat and finding sunken ships to create a story—no need to bring a laptop. Recommended for 9-12 years old, space is limited, sign up on the SDPL homepage to RSVP. Wednesday, May 1 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Homework Help – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will handcraft a pair of earrings with paper and decorative stones. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, May 8 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Challenge Island – Can you and your tribemates build your own version of a roller coaster that sends a marble flying as far as it can and landing into a target? Or better yet – into another track and keep rolling? Come join the adventure and the fun! Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, May 15 @ 2:00 p.m.
- ThoughtSTEM – Kids will learn how to code a Shark & Minnows video game in MIT’s Scratch programming language. In addition to creating shark & minnow characters that can be controlled with the arrow keys, kids will also learn how to code a points system so they can keep track of their score! Recommended for K-3rd Grades, space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Tuesday, May 21 @ 4:30 p.m.
- LEGO Club – Come build anything you can imagine with LEGO. Thursday, May 23 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, May 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 @ 3:00 p.m.
- String Art – Kids will be introduced to string art and working at their own level. They will create a geometric string art design using a needle, tread, and a graph design template. After they will mount their design on a cardstock background. Recommended for 8 years or older, space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Thursday, May 13 @ 3:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.