Movies in the Park are planned this summer (2019) at University City area parks including Doyle, Nobel, Standley, Villa La Jolla, and University City Village. Summer Movies in the Park is a perfect chance to relax and enjoy a safe and special night under the stars. Come early and get a good seat! The Summer Movies in the Park event series began in 2007 as a ‘take back our parks’ initiative, giving local residents a reason to visit their local county and city parks for a free and safe evening event. This well-attended community activity deterred inappropriate after-hours park use and loitering and gave residents an opportunity to feel safe in their local park, thus encouraging future visits.
Movies in University City parks scheduled for 2019 include:
- June 1, Saturday, Standley Park: “Everyone’s Hero”
- June 7, Friday, Nobel Park: “Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle”
- June 14, Friday, Doyle Park: “How to Train Your Dragon 3”
- July 19, Friday, Villa La Jolla Park: “Greatest Showman”
- August 9, Friday, Nobel Park: “How to Train Your Dragon 3”
- August 10, Saturday, University Village Park: “Incredibles 2”
- August 16, Saturday, Doyle Park: “Jungle Book”
- September 7, Saturday, Standley Park: “Ralph Wrecks the Internet”
- October 4, Friday, Doyle Park: “Casper”
For a schedule of all Summer Movies in the Park planned throughout San Diego this year, visit http://www.summermoviesinthepark.com/
Summer programs at all three University City recreation centers (Doyle, Nobel and Standley) and at Swanson Pool will start soon. For more information, visit the City‘s website at SanDiego.gov and search on the individual recreation center.
The 4th of July UC Celebration committee hosts its planning meeting on Wednesday, June 5, at 7 PM at the Standley Recreation Center, 3585 Governor Drive, 7 PM. All are welcome. For more information, visit https://uccelebration.com/
The Standley/University City Parks Council 501(c)(3) meets on the fourth Thursday, June 27, at 6 PM at the Standley Recreation Center, 3585 Governor Drive. The Recreation Advisory Group meets the same day at 7 PM. All are welcome.