It’s June and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events including the Chess Club, the Knitters’ Circle, Guided Meditation, and Art Classes for Adults. And don’t forget to sign up for the Summer Reading Program … all at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, June 6 & 20 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, June 8 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed is The Rosie Project by Graeme Simison.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, June 9 & 23 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Dramatic Readers Group, Wednesday, June 12 at 3:00 p.m. New members are always welcome at this fun and entertaining meeting of the Dramatic Readers. This month the group will be assigning roles for a reading of 12 Angry Men by Reginald Rose, to take place in July.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, June 16 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, June 22 at 1:00 p.m. Title to be discussed is 21 Lessons for the 21st Century Yuval Harari by A.J. Finn
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Select Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. (please call to confirm schedule). Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Summer Reading Program Event: Free Spirit the Clown, Tuesday, June 4 at 6:00 p.m. Join us as Free Spirit the Clown kicks off our Summer Reading Program celebrations! This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Summer Reading Program Event: Singalong with Miss Kim, Tuesday, June 11 at 6:00 p.m. It’s Showtime at Your Library! Join us for a fun singalong event. This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Yoga Storytime Friday, June 14 & 28 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Paws to Read, Monday, June 17 at 4:30 p.m. Therapy dogs provided by Love on a Leash (Central San Diego Chapter) foster a supportive environment for emerging readers.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime, Tuesday, June 25 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
Lights, Camera, Action! Put books center stage this summer and join the Summer Reading Program: “It’s Showtime at Your Library!” San Diego residents of all ages are encouraged to sign up for this annual event that is sure to deliver action and adventure through reading. Butter your popcorn and grab your candy stash. It’s Showtime! Sign up at the libraries begins June 1st and the program will last through August 31st. For more information, visit your local library today.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.