It’s June and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. This month, the Library Friends host a Book Sale and help to sponsor a Dixieland concert, an historical look at Balboa Park, kids crafts and a community meeting. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books.
Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Thursday, June 6 from 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 7 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 8 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Programming for Adults
- Classics Book Club will be discussing Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust. Monday, June 3 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Concert: Dapper Dixie is a premiere Dixieland group in San Diego. The group has a varied and collective background of many types of music including jazz, theatre, funk, soul, ska, brass band, Latin, reggae, classical, and much more. Their mission is to bring joy revival of good old fashioned American music. Wednesday, June 5 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, June 7, 14, 21, 28 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, June 12 @ 5:30 for networking; meeting from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- OASIS: Balboa Park – Set aside as a City park in 1868, today’s Balboa Park has undergone a multitude of changes in its 150 years. Once a series of barren mesas, the Park now boasts several well-known gardens and museums. In this presentation, learn how the Park has evolved and discover some of its less famous uses. Thursday, June 20 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Saturday, June 22 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, June 24 @ 10:00 a.m. & Noon.
- UC Book Club will be discussing March by John Lewis. Wednesday, June 26 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will assemble a terrarium from metallic cardstock and fill it with potted succulents they color with colored pencils and markers. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, June 10 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Father’s Day Crafts – We will be making an origami wallet & a picture frame. These are easy crafts for kids and adults, ages 7 & up. Wednesday, June 12 @ 4:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, May 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 @ 3:00 p.m.
Summer Reading Program
- Mad Science return to kick off the 2019 Summer Reading Program. Learn about science through this fun and interactive performance! Wednesday, June 19 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Sparkles the Clown – Our favorite clown, Sparkles, returns with her special magic and bubble show. She’s been clowning around since 1987! Join us for a hilarious and whimsical show. Wednesday, June 26 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Movie and popcorn too! Please call (858)552-1655 to find out what movie will be playing. Friday, June 21 & 28 @ 2:00 p.m.
Lights, Camera, Action! Put books center stage this summer and join the Summer Reading Program: “It’s Showtime at Your Library!” San Diego residents of all ages are encouraged to sign up for this annual event that is sure to deliver action and adventure through reading. Butter your popcorn and grab your candy stash. It’s Showtime! Sign up at the libraries begins June 1st and the program will last through August 31st. For more information, visit your local library today.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.