It’s July and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. This month, the Library features its Summer Reading Programs, hosts a Drones and You workshop, a Celtic concert, an historical look at San Diego, kids crafts and a community meeting. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books. Don’t forget; all libraries are closed for July 4 for Independence Day. Book drops remain open.
- Drones and You: Navigating Innovation. The City is hosting a public workshop on Thursday, July 11, from 6 to 7 PM at the University Community Library, 4155 Governor Drive. Discover the latest in drones, including package delivery, air transportation, and how a drone can save your life. To RSVP and suggest specific workshop agenda items, visit http://bit.ly/RSVPdrone
Summer Reading Program
- Magician Amazing Dana! A laugh-out-loud magic show performed by World Class San Diego Wednesday, July 3 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Michael Rayner’s show is a combination of hilarious tricks and stunts with uproarious stand-up. He balances a wheelbarrow on his chin and spins a cheeseburger on an umbrella just to name a few. Wednesday, July 10 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Fleet Science Center presents “Under Pressure” where kids learn just how strong air can be through exciting, engaging demonstrations involving the physics of air. Wednesday, July 17 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Zovargo programs focus on conservation animals, their habitats, and promoting sustainable behaviors. There might be a few animals too! Wednesday, July 24 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Comic Ventriloquist Joe Gandelman has performed on a variety of big stages. All of Joe’s shows feature a big cast of characters, interaction and lots of laughs. Wednesday, July 31 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Movie Fridays complete with popcorn! Please call 858-552-1655 to find out what movie will be playing. Friday, July 5, 12, 19 & 26 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Adults
- Concert: Celtic Folk Music – The musical traditions of Ireland, Scotland and other Celtic regions contain exceptional beauty, variety, unity, creativity and love. Traditional and music will delight your ears and warm your heart. Harps, fiddles, hammered dulcimers, flutes and beautiful Celtic voices will add charm to your day! Wednesday, July 3 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, July 5, 12, 19 & 26 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, July 10 @ 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- OASIS: Old Town to New Town – Before it was the second largest city in California, San Diego was a small Mexican pueblo. As the demographics quickly changed with statehood, however, the pueblo did not meet the needs of the new population. This presentation explores the geographical shift from Old Town to New Town, as well as the cultural and economic implications of the move. Thursday, July 11 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Accordion Club meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. All are welcome! Saturday, July 13 & 27 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Intro to Zentangle – Want to learn how to relax while drawing? Zentangle is an easy art method that creates beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. Monday, July 22 @ 12:00
- UC Book Club will be discussing A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza. Wednesday, July 24 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Jewelry Making, take home something you made yourself! Make your own earrings and/or other pieces of jewelry with an experienced crafter. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, July 29 @ 10:00 a.m. & Noon.
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will learn briefly about the history of iris paper folding, as well as how to use the technique to create different designs. They will have the opportunity to create their own iris paper folding designs that can be used to make a greeting card or wall decoration. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, July 15 @ 3:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, July 5, 12, 19 & 26 @ 4:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.