It’s July and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events including the Dramatic Readers Group presenting a reading of 12 Angry Men by Reginald Rose, in three parts with two brief intermissions; the Chess Club, the Knitters’ Circle, Guided Meditation, and Art Classes for Adults. And don’t forget to sign up for the Summer Reading Program … all at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. All libraries will be closed on July 4 for Independence Day. Book drops remain open.
Summer Reading Program Events
- Hullabaloo Music Concert, Tuesday, July 16 at 6:00 p.m.Join us as Free Spirit the Clown kicks off our Summer Reading Program celebrations! Sing and dance with local favorite Hullabaloo! This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Jungle Drum Circles, Tuesday, July 30 at 6:00 p.m. African drum and dance presented by Chazz Ross provides a colorful and exhilarating experience into the world of African rhythms, songs, and stories. This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Amazing Multicultural Music Show, Tuesday, August 6 at 6:00 p.m. Craig Newton presents an overview of the diversity of America’s music. This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Michael Rayner Comedy Show, Tuesday, August 13 at 6:00 p.m. Michael Rayner, comedian, expert juggler, and oddball face balancer brings his uniquely energetic brand of humor and hilarity in a show described as “preposterous brilliance” and “whacky jugglement”! This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, July 18; August 1 & 15 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, July 13 & August 10 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed in July is The Interruption of Everything by Terry McMillan. August title TBA.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, July 14 & 28; August 11 & 25 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Dramatic Readers Group, Wednesday, July 10 at 3:00 p.m. The Dramatic Readers will be presenting a reading of 12 Angry Men by Reginald Rose, in three parts with two brief intermissions. Refreshments will be served.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, July 18 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, July 20 & August 24 at 1:00 p.m. Title to be discussed in July is Dog Stars by Peter Heller. August title TBA.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon (no storytime on July 18 & August 1). Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Select Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. (please call to confirm schedule). Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, July 12 & 26; August 9& 23 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Paws to Read, Monday, July 15 & August 18 at 4:30 p.m. Therapy dogs provided by Love on a Leash (Central San Diego Chapter) foster a supportive environment for emerging readers.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime, Tuesday, July 9 & 23; August 12 & 26 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.