It’s October and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. And please note, all San Diego Public Library locations will be closed on Friday, October 11, for Staff Training.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, October 3 & 17 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, October 12 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed in October is The Witness by Nora Roberts.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, October 13 & 27 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, October 26 at 1:00 p.m. Title to be discussed in October is Upheaval by Jared Diamond.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. A fun art project every week! Due to space limitations, this program is limited to 20 participants. Signups begin same day when the library opens. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Saturdays, October 5, 12, & 26 at 11:00 a.m. Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, October 13 & 27 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Paws to Read, Monday, October 21 at 4:30 p.m. Therapy dogs provided by Love on a Leash (Central San Diego Chapter) foster a supportive environment for emerging readers.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.
As published in October 2019 University City News print newsletter; to download and read the October issue as a PDF, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2019/09/26/university-city-news-october-2019-is-now-online/