UCCA’s Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation (CASA) committee is coordinating an Aviation Update 2020 information session at the University Community Library, 4155 Governor Drive, from 6 PM to 7:30 PM on January 29, 2020.
Speakers include representatives from:
- MCAS Miramar,
- Quiet Skies La Jolla,
- San Diego International Airport (SAN),
- Montgomery-Gibbs Airport,
- Montgomery Gibbs Environmental Coalition,
- Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation,
- City Councilmember Barbara Bry’s office,
- (invited) Federal Aviation Administration,
- (invited) General Atomics,
- (invited) UCSD,
- (invited) County Supervisor Kristin Gaspar’s office,
- (invited) US Congress Representative Scott Peters’s office.
Organizers are reaching out to the FAA about NextGen and to General Atomics about the flights of SkyGuardian military-style drones in San Diego.
University City is located at the crossroads of aviation traffic. Residents experience local flights arriving and departing from San Diego International, Montgomery-Gibbs, Gillespie Field and MCAS Miramar airports on a daily basis as well as countless trans-regional, trans-continental flights, and international flights.
Both San Diego International and Montgomery-Gibbs airports are in the process of increasing capacity; and the FAA is implementing its NextGen plan for the redesign of airspace. MCAS Miramar is expecting a new air-frame (the single engine F-35C) and is in the process of updating their Airport Installation Compatibility Use Zone (AICUZ) document. In addition, University City is undergoing a community plan update; and the UCSD and University City student, resident and employee populations are growing rapidly. There is a lot going on — both on the ground and in the air. All the more reason for an Aviation Update 2020 information session.
The full agenda and speaker list will be posted on the University City News sites prior to the January 29, 2020 Aviation Update 2020 information session. Community members who would like more information or who have a topic to suggest may contact the event planner Diane Ahern through CASA’s email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/miramar/
- For more information about Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation (CASA), visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/c-a-s-a-citizens-advocating-safe-aviation/
- For information about the MCAS Miramar AICUZ 2005, visit https://www.miramar.marines.mil/Resources/Encroachment/AICUZ/
Diane Ahern is a volunteer and University City Community Association’s publicity and promotions chair. She is the liaison to Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation and to MCAS Miramar Community Leaders Forum.