The University City Parks Council (UCPC) and the Standley Park Recreation Advisory Group are pleased to announce the resumption of Summer outdoor events at Standley Park in August 2021. The Banana Split Ice Cream Social, a longtime favorite summer event, returns to Standley Park on Saturday, August 7, at 2 PM. Ice Cream and toppings provided; bring your own banana. Don’t be late! Get there early to meet up with family and friends and to enjoy the park. Ice cream is “dished up” promptly at 2 PM. All are welcome at this Standley Park tradition. Please observe current health recommendations.
The 2021 Summer Concerts present an abbreviated schedule this year with four concerts featuring a variety of musical styles. All concerts are scheduled for Sunday evenings at Standley Park, 3585 Governor Drive, in University City. Sound check and warmup begin at 4:30; concert from 5 to 7 PM.
Standley Park is a fun and family friendly venue with playground and large grassy area. Bring a lawn chair or blanket, snacks and drinks, and enjoy a lovely evening with friends and neighbors in University City. Arrive early to pick out a favorite spot in the shade. Don’t forget your dancing shoes! Please note that concerts are subject to cancellation due to inclement weather. Please observe current health recommendations. The University City Parks Council wishes to thank Scripps Health, the Standley Community Recreation Group, the Parks and Recreation Department, UCCA, and the many local volunteers who donate time and support to help to make the Summer Concerts at Standley Park a reality this year.
- August 1: Royal Heat with Laura Hardy (previously from the group Legends); music from the 50’s-60’s. First time at Standley Park.
- August 7: Banana Split Ice Cream Social: This longtime favorite summer event returns to Standley Park on Saturday, August 7, at 2 PM.
- August 8: Front Porch Pandemic Jazz Band with Greg Pardue; Jazz jams, funk, and jazz classics. Longtime local favorite.
- August 15: 3 Car Garage, music features four decades of classic rock hits you can sing and dance to. First time at Standley Park.
- August 22: The Distractions, with Greg Zinser; music from 60’s-80’s. Longtime local favorite.
For more information, contact the Standley Recreation Center at 858-552-1652.
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/parks-recreation-dept/