The University City Pure Water project begins in Clairemont on Genesee Avenue and Appleton Street and continues in University City on Genesee Avenue, Nobel Drive, Towne Centre Drive and Executive Drive. [Map: Pure Water Alignment in University City]
This project includes portions of two 10.5-mile pipelines:
- one 48-inch wastewater pipeline which will carry wastewater north to the North City facilities for purification
- one 30-inch brine pipeline that will carry the biproduct from water purification south to the Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Tunneling will be completed at Genesee Avenue and State Route 52 (San Clemente Creek), at Genesee Avenue and Rose Creek Canyon, and under Interstate 805.
- Traffic Control in University City: Information about the traffic control plan for the Pure Water pipeline installation construction along Genesee Avenue in University City from State Route 52 to Nobel Drive is under review and has not yet been released publicly. Construction is ongoing in Clairemont on Genesee Avenue from Appleton Street to State Route 52. [Photo: Genesee Avenue Construction]
- Tunneling Work at Marian Bear Park: Tunneling work is ongoing at the Genesee Avenue parking lot at Marian Bear Park/San Clemente Canyon. Marian Bear Park and trails are open for use, but the Genesee Avenue lot is currently closed for safety. [Photo: Marian Bear Park Construction for San Clemente Tunnel Work]
- Tunneling Work at I-805: The Pure Water construction on Executive Drive is making progress and tunneling work is anticipated to begin in February. The I-805 tunnel will connect the Pure Water pipeline to the North City Water Reclamation Plant. [Photo: I-805 Tunnel Construction]
- Intersection Work: In the same area, at Executive Drive and Towne Centre Drive, daytime pipeline construction is underway. [Photo: Towne Centre Drive Intersection Pipeline Work]
Contact the Pure Water Team: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 833-UTC-PWSD (833-882-7973) with questions about the City’s Pure Water Program. To learn more, visit the project page: sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/university-city-eastgate-mall/morena-northern-pipeline-alignment-and-tunnels
Please note: This update with photos was summarized from information provided by the Pure Water Project Team.
UCCA hosted a Pure Water Information Session in January; the Zoom recording is available at universitycitynews.org/UCCA/PureWaterFeb2023