From UCCA’s President Diane Ahern: It’s March … and we’re feeling lucky. We’re fortunate to have supportive UCCA members, active volunteers, and loyal advertisers. You are the neighbors who help support many of the events, activities and programs that make University City more than just a neighborhood.
Yes, there’s a lot going on in University City. UCCA is here to help keep you informed through our websites, print newsletters, community outreach, and public meetings. Scroll down for the March 2023 Save the Date Short List.
But first, please keep in mind that while many publications and websites charge a fee to read articles and publications, UCCA’s University City News remains free as a University City community resource for all. If you can join UCCA or make a donation to help us, please do so at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/join-ucca-today/
Save the Date, University City:
- University City News March PDF – Tuesday, February 28: Available online at: universitycitynews.org/ucca-newsletter-archives/
- March University City News print copies – Friday, March 3: Available at University City libraries; print copy delivery begins
- Doyle Family Dance – March 3 from 6 to 8 PM at Doyle Recreation Center: Family Dance is for children Pre-K through 12th Grade and child must be escorted by their parent/guardian, or any other adult. Details in flyer attached and at: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Weekend Ball Games in the University City area – March 4 and 5 in various locations: Details at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/UCCA/BallgamesMar2023
- UCCA Community Association – Wednesday, March 8, 6 PM: Our special guests include the Pure Water (Genesee Av) construction team. When available, UCCA agenda and Zoom information will be posted at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/events/
- SHREDFEST, March 11, 9 to 11 AM, in the Coldwell Banker Realty parking lot, 3959 Governor Dr. (in the VONS Center): Coldwell Banker University City 858.352.6587 and Guaranteed Rate Mortgage, Ed Woolery 858.922.3325, are sponsoring our 16th annual “Shredfest” in the Coldwell Banker Realty parking lot, 3959 Governor (in the VONS Center). We are hiring a professional document shredding truck so bring your unwanted documents to shred for free. You can even watch your files turn into confetti. We are serving all of University City so please respect the three box or bag limit. Please note that this event is not sponsored by UCCA.
- A Protest Against the City’s Proposed University Community Plan Update – March 11, 10 AM to 1 PM: Information is available on Facebook; search University City Rally. Please note that this event is not sponsored by UCCA.
- PEOPLE FOR A CLEAN UC, Sunday, March 12, 7:15-7:30am – meet & greet; 7:30-9:00am – work: Cleanup volunteers meet at Starbucks, 3202 Governor Drive, supplies provided. Please note that this event is not sponsored by UCCA.
- UCPG Planning Group – Tuesday, March 14, 6 PM: When available, the UCPG agenda and meeting information will be posted at: https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- UC CELEBRATION 4th of JULY COMMITTEE, Wednesday, March 15, 7 PM – Standley Park Rec Center. Contact Randall Tonini at email@example.com
- Meet & Greet with CM Kent Lee – Saturday, March 18, 10 to 11 AM at Standley Park: More from the office of CD 6 Kent Lee at: https://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/cd6
- Fire Safe Council sponsors CO Detector Giveaway and Education Event – Saturday, March 18, noon to 3 PM at North University Library; details in flyer below and in the print newsletter. Please note that this event is not sponsored by UCCA.
- CPUS Community Plan Update Subcommittee – Tuesday, February 21, 6 PM: When available, the CPUS agenda and meeting information will be posted at: https://www.planuniversity.org/meetings
- STANDLEY PARK COMMUNITY REC GROUP, Thursday, March 23, 7 PM at Standley Park: Information at: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
- Eggstravaganza at the Nobel Recreation Center on Saturday, April 1: Details in flyer attached and at: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Egg Hunt at Standley Recreation Center on Saturday, April 8: Details in flyer attached and at: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
February Schedules begin at our Libraries, Parks, and Pools:
- Libraries –Library Master Plan – ongoing. The San Diego Public Library wants to hear what you want for the future of your local library. What do you love? What would you change? What would you add? For more information and to complete the survey, visit: https://sandiego.librarymarket.com/event/community-listening-session-library-master-plan-23
- University Community and North University Libraries links to monthly program schedules. All programs are subject to change. Please contact library staff if you have any questions regarding an event.
- University Community Library on Governor: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Library on Judicial: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- Pools and Parks and Recreation Centers program schedules.
- Doyle Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Nobel Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Standley Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
- Standley Aquatic Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/standley-aquatic-center
- Swanson Memorial Pool: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/swanson-memorial-pool
Ongoing Events and Trainings:
- Pure Water pipelines construction in University City – Genesee, Nobel, Towne Center, Executive: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/university-city-eastgate-mall/morena-northern-pipeline-alignment-and-tunnels
- Organic Waste Recycling: https://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/recycling/sb1383
- Single Use Plastic Reduction Ordinance: https://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/recycling/pf-ban
- City of San Diego Agendas and Meetings: https://www.sandiego.gov/citywide-agendas-minutes
Have a great March. I hope to see you at the Wednesday, March 8, 6 PM, UCCA Meeting.
– Diane Ahern, University City Community Association
Voice Mail: 858-412-0786
More Save the Date: