Tuesday, March 21 Update! The Traffic Control Setup on Genesee Avenue from SR 52 to Governor Drive, originally scheduled for Tuesday night, March 21, has been rescheduled to Thursday night, March 23, due to the weather. Pipeline construction could begin as early as Friday, March 24. Work hours will be Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. through November 2023. Two-way traffic will be maintained, and there will be no intersection closures as part of this work.
Construction of the City of San Diego Pure Water Pipelines and Tunnels project in University City is continuing along Genesee Avenue from State Route 52 to Governor Drive.
Traffic control setup is scheduled on Tuesday, March 21, on Genesee Avenue from State Route 52 to Governor Drive from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., weather permitting. Pipeline construction in this section is expected to begin as soon as Wednesday, March 22. Work hours will be Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. through November 2023. Two-way traffic will be maintained, and there will be no intersection closures as part of this work.
Plan ahead. For through traffic, alternate routes between Governor and SR 52 include I-805, Regents Rd, and I-5.
Also on Tuesday, March 21, Genesee Avenue from Appleton Street to State Route 52 will be base paved and temporarily striped, and both the southbound and northbound traffic lanes will re-open on Wednesday, March 22. Final street restoration is anticipated to be completed in Fall 2023.
What to Expect:
- For safety of the public and construction crews, a concrete barrier will be installed along Genesee Avenue, from State Route 52 to the Governor Drive.
- Two-way traffic with one lane in each direction on Genesee Avenue will remain open.
- 24/7 access for emergency vehicles, residences and businesses will be maintained.
- 24/7 access to the State Route 52 ramps will be maintained.
- For safety reasons, please follow all posted signage.
- This work may include construction noise.
This information is available as a PDF at: https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/morena_northern_pipeline_construction_genesee_avenue_3-16-23.pdf
To learn more about projects in the University City and Eastgate Mall neighborhoods, visit: phase1.purewatersd.org, call the project hotline at: 833-UTC-PWSD
(833-882-7973) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org