On Monday, September 18, Pure Water pipeline construction is expected to begin in the Governor Drive and Genesee Avenue intersection as part of the City of San Diego Morena Northern Pipelines and Tunnels project in University City. Preparation work has ongoing at the intersection for several weeks.
Construction teams will be installing one 48-inch wastewater pipeline and one 30-inch brine pipeline in a 20-foot-deep trench through the intersection.
Construction in the intersection will be done in two phases and lanes will be shifted around the construction zone in each phase to maintain two-way traffic on Genesee Avenue and Governor Drive at all times.
When Governor / Genesee intersection work is complete, the Pure Water pipeline construction will move through the intersection and continue northbound in the southbound (west) Genesee lane of traffic.
Construction details for Governor / Genesee intersection:
- Start date: September 18, 2023
- Work hours: Night work from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Night work due to lower traffic volumes at night
- Intersection open in the daytime and trench will be covered with steel plates
- Traffic control: Modifications to signal timing, flaggers
Ongoing community outreach:
- Coordination Ongoing with UC High School, Westfield UTC, Irvine Company Properties, Standley Middle School, Chabad Center of University City, University Square Shopping Center and more
- Upcoming outreach in September and October 2023 for Vista La Jolla, Renaissance Towne Center and more
- Monthly presentations to UCPG and UCCA continue
Save the Date: Pure Water community updates at October UCPG and UCCA updates on October 10 and 11 during their regularly scheduled meetings.
- For more information from the City of San Diego, visit: https://bit.ly/PureWaterUniversityCity
- For more information from UCCA, visit: https://www.universitycitynews.org/?s=pure+water
- Please note: the attached images are from the Pure Water presentations at the September UCPG and UCCA meetings; available at: https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/ucpg_presentation_sept_2023_9-8-23_v2.pdf