It’s August and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. Don’t forget; the University City libraries are air conditioned; visiting your local library is a great way to beat the heat. Step into the Cool Zone at your local library.
Summer Reading Program Events
- Amazing Multicultural Music Show, Tuesday, August 6 at 6:00 p.m. Craig Newton presents an overview of the diversity of America’s music. This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Michael Rayner Comedy Show, Tuesday, August 13 at 6:00 p.m. Michael Rayner, comedian, expert juggler, and oddball face balancer brings his uniquely energetic brand of humor and hilarity in a show described as “preposterous brilliance” and “whacky jugglement”! This is an outdoor event, please bring blankets or lawn chairs.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, August 1 & 15 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, August 10 at 10:00 a.m. Call library for information.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, August 11 & 25 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Dramatic Readers Group – call library for information.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults – call library for information.
- Page Turners Book Club, August 24 at 1:00 p.m. Call library for information.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A fun art project every week! No registration required. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon (no storytime on August 1). Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Chinese Storytime, Select Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. (please call to confirm schedule). Ms. Nancy sings, dances, and reads books in Chinese and English.
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, August 9 & 23 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
- Paws to Read, Monday, August 18 at 4:30 p.m. Therapy dogs provided by Love on a Leash (Central San Diego Chapter) foster a supportive environment for emerging readers.
- Tiny Tots PJ Storytime, Tuesday, August 12 & 26 at 6:30 p.m. A fun evening storytime with music.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637, sandiego.gov/public-library.
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.