It’s August and time to “check out” these many free programs and events at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books. Don’t forget; the University City libraries are air conditioned; visiting your local library is a great way to beat the heat. Step into the Cool Zone at your local library.
- Ready, Set, Go; Wildfire and Disaster Preparedness – Courtesy of the San Diego Fire Rescue Department, learn how to prepare to reduce your risk; includes tips on setting up a personal family disaster plan. Co-sponsored by the SDFD, UCCA, and the University Community Library. Saturday, August 24 @ 10:30 a.m.
Programming for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, August 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Classics Book Club will be discussing The Optimists Daughter by Eudora Welty. Monday, August 5 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Concert: Beatles Sing Along – An hour filled with songs from the Beatles: including great tunes such as “All My Loving,”; “Can’t Buy Me Love,”; “Yesterday”; and many more. For this super fun musical event, bring a friend and we can call it a “party.” Lyrics and shakers will be available. These tunes will make your day. A special one-hour event that will fill your heart and soul with the best vibrations. Wednesday, August 7 @ 6:30 p.m.
- UCCA (University City Community Association) – No meeting scheduled in August; we hope to see you all at the Sunday Summer Concerts. The next regularly scheduled community meeting is Wednesday, September 11, at 6:00 p.m. To contact us, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/contact-us-or-volunteer-in-uc/
- OASIS: Japanese Americans and Executive Order 9066 – This lecture will explore the history of Japanese Americans in San Diego County, and specifically their experiences following FDR’s signing of the document that called for their removal from the West Coast. Learn how Japanese Americans reintegrated into post-war life in San Diego, and how lives were changed in this small community. This talk will be illustrated with photographs from the collection of the Japanese American Historical Society of San Diego. Thursday, August 15 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, August 26 @ 12:00
- UC Book Club will be discussing The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. Wednesday, August 28 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids; stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Pillow Box Owls. Kids will assemble a cardstock pillow box and decorate it with geometric-shaped pieces of patterned paper to create a fanciful owl. Space is limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, August 12 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, August 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 @ 4:00 p.m.
Summer Reading Program
- Literature Comes to Life – Children learn to love literature as they become storybook characters and participate in living stories. Wednesday, August 7 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Arty Loon – Join us for the last program of the summer. With laugh out loud comedy magic, amazing illusions, spectacular juggling, fantastic balloon sculptures, and superb puppetry, Arty has created the ultimate show! Wednesday, August 14 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Movie and popcorn. Please call 858-552-1655 to find out what movie will be playing. Friday, August 2, 9 & 16 @ 2:00 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655, www.sandiego.gov/public-library; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
To discover programming throughout the San Diego Public Library system, visit https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please call the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.