Recreation Centers and Pools: The City of San Diego has 57 Recreation Centers, 13 Pools, 7 Skate Parks and many other recreational facilities that serve both residents and visitors of all ages, abilities and income levels. Check out your local Recreation Center’s website and program guide for more details, or visit SDRECCONNECT to register for a program. Highlighted below are a few of the programs offered at University City’s own Swanson Pool with helpful links to area recreation centers:
- Aquatic Body Conditioning (ABC) – This is a total body conditioning class; Multi-level, low impact, cardio respiratory workout held in shallow water. Flexibility, muscular strength and endurance are emphasized. Participants do not need to know how to swim. Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 8:15 to 9:15 AM.
- Arthritis Exercise – Participants perform gentle stretching and strengthening exercises in the water. Movement is performed at a low to moderate intensity to develop muscular strength, endurance and increase range-of-motion. Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9:30 to 10:30 AM.
- Lifeguard Training at Swanson Pool during Thanksgiving break – The Winter Aquatic Vocational Education (W.A.V.E.) program at Swanson Pool offers individuals an opportunity to participate in a standard Lifeguard Training Class in rapid succession during Thanksgiving Break. Upon completion of the course candidates will receive American Red Cross Certification in Lifeguarding, in First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) and in CPR/AED. Tryouts and Orientation are Friday, November 22, 2019, starting promptly at 3:30 PM and ending at 7 PM, at Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Drive; course is Saturday through Wednesday, November 23-27, from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Applicants must be 15 years of age and older; and must participate in the Friday tryouts and meet eligibility requirements. Attendance at all scheduled classes is mandatory.
For prices/fees, course materials, more details, or questions about classes and programs at Swanson Pool, please check the website at https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/aquatics/swanson or contact the pool manager at Swanson Pool or call 858-552-1653.
Other Parks News and Information:
- The Standley Park Recreation Council (SPRC) unanimously voted to change its name to University City Parks Council and to adopt amended bylaws.
- Save the date for the Dinner with Santa and Holiday Celebration at Standley Park on Friday, December 13. This is always a special opportunity to get together with family and friends to officially welcome the holiday season.
- Doyle Park and Recreation Center info: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Nobel Athletic Fields and Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Standley Park and Recreation Center info: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
In related Parks news and for more information about SDUSD’s Imagine UC 2020 project for a new Pool and Aquatic Center, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2019/11/03/new-pool-and-aquatic-center-whats-new-with-the-sdusd-imagine-uc-2020-standley-park-school-facilities-project/