It’s January and time to “check out” these many free programs, events and activities at the University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive. This month, check out UCCA’s community meeting on Wednesday, January 8 and UCCA’s Aviation Update 2020 when invited speakers include representatives from MCAS Miramar, Quiet Skies La Jolla, San Diego International Airport (SAN), Montgomery-Gibbs Airport, Montgomery Gibbs Environmental Coalition, Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on Wednesday, January 29. There’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; today, it’s not just checking out books.
Please note that the Library is closed on January 1 (New Year’s Day) and on January 20 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day). Bookdrops (for book returns) will remain open 24/7.
Programming for Adults
- Qi Gong (Chi Gong) is a simple preventative health method of relaxing and harmonizing the body. These gentle exercises are suitable for any age and health condition. Friday, January 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 @ 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- OASIS San Diego – The Keto Lifestyle for 50+. Learn how to incorporate the ketogenic diet into your life for healthy aging. Thursday, January 9 @ 12:00 p.m.
- Tech Help – Looking for help with SDPL apps? Have a problem setting up an email account? General computer questions? Look no further than our Thursdays walk-in Tech Help program. No appointment needed. Wednesday, January 8, 15, 22, 29 @ 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- University City Community Association – This is a community meeting featuring updates from law enforcement, fire-rescue service, legislative and other community leaders. All are welcome. Wednesday, January 8 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Accordion Club – All are welcome! Meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Saturday, January 11 & 25 @ 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Mental Health First Aid – an 8-hour certified public education program. Introduces participants to risk factors, signs and symptoms of mental health illnesses including anxiety, bipolar and schizophrenia. Includes a 5-step action plan to support someone in crisis. FREE. January 6 & 13, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (attend both days to receive certification)
- Macrame Class – Make a small plant holder to take home with you. FREE. Saturday, January 18 @ 1:00 p.m.
- UC Book Club will discuss The Library Book by Susan Orlean. Wednesday, January 22 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Community Sing-along – Join us for a community sing-along. We will be sing popular hits from the 50’s and 60’s. Wednesday, January 22 @ 6:00 p.m.
- DIY Bath Bomb workshop – Make bath bombs using natural ingredients and essential oils. Monday, January 27 @ 12:00
- OASIS: Boosting Bone Health – Learn how to improve your bone strength by modifying your lifestyle through exercise and nutrition. Tuesday, January 28 @ 12:30 p.m.
- Aviation Update 2020 – UCCA’s Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation (CASA) committee is coordinating this information session. Invited speakers include representatives from MCAS Miramar, Quiet Skies La Jolla, San Diego International Airport (SAN), Montgomery-Gibbs Airport, Montgomery Gibbs Environmental Coalition, Citizens Advocating Safe Aviation, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Wednesday, January 29 @ 6:00 p.m. For more information, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2019/12/16/save-the-date-aviation-update-2020-on-january-29-2020/
Programming for Children
- Preschool Storytime for Kids – Stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. Every Thursday @ 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Homework Help Live! – A volunteer will be at the library to help with homework. Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Library NExT – Envisioning the City of the Future. Kids will use blocks, clay, paper, yarn and small wood elements to model their design. Dynamic, fast-paced activities will encourage kids to generate solutions to real-world challenges through creative expression and brainstorming. Space is limited, go to SDPL website to RSVP. Tuesday, January 7 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Craft – Kids will make a sun catcher. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP and for craft information. Wednesday, January 8 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Artist Spotlight – Monthly program where we enjoy the work of an artist and create a piece of art inspired by the work. Designed for ages 7 and up. Space is limited, please call (858)552-1655 to RSVP. Monday, January 13 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Challenge Island – Travel back in time to 1888 to learn about the Children’s Blizzard that took many Midwestern Americans by surprise. Kids will work with their teams to design and construct a “Plinko” style game to help children get from the schoolhouse to their homes safely avoiding snowy obstacles. For ages 7 & up. Space limited, please call 858-552-1655 to RSVP. Wednesday, January 15 @ 2:00 p.m.
Programming for Tweens/Teens
- Video Game Fridays – Come play video games on the Nintendo Switch with your friends. Friday, January 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Teen Time – NEW!! Activities for teens. Friday, January 9 @ 3:30 p.m.
Courtesy of University Community Branch Library, 4155 Governor Drive, 858-552-1655; now open Saturdays from 9:30 AM to 6 PM!
- San Diego Public Library : sandiego.gov/public-library
- University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- San Diego Public Library news and events : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please contact the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.