It’s January and there’s so much to do and experience at our community libraries; it’s not just about checking out books. “Check out” these many free programs, activities and events at North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive. Please note that the Library is closed on January 1 (New Year’s Day) and on January 20 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day). Bookdrops (for book returns) will remain open 24/7.
Events for Adults/Seniors
- Chess Club, Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Casual public chess meet open to all ages and skill levels.
- Knitters’ Circle, Thursday, January 2 & 16 at 1:00 p.m. All yarn enthusiasts are welcome.
- Guided Meditation, Sunday, January 12 & 26 at 12:30 p.m. Guided meditation followed by tea.
- Fiction Fanatics Book Club, Saturday, January 11 at 10:00 a.m. Title to be discussed in January title TBA.
- A Cup of Creation: Art Classes for Adults, Sunday, January 19 at 1:00 p.m. Each class will utilize a different art technique to inspire the creation of unique pieces. Participants are asked to bring a small sketchbook to class; all other supplies provided.
- Aloha Ukulele Strummers, Friday, January 17 at 11:30 a.m. Enjoy a fun strum-along with fellow ukulele players! Music provided. Familiar songs, Hawaiian songs, oldies all played.
- Page Turners Book Club, Saturday, January 25 at 1:00 p.m. January title is On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan.
Events for Children/Families
- Babies and Books, Mondays at 10:00 a.m. This lap-sit storytime will introduce a love for books by using song, movement, rhythm and rhyme. Recommended age: Birth – 2 years.
- Music and Movement, Mondays at 11:00 a.m. at the Nobel Recreation Center. Sing, Dance and Play! Children enjoy songs and movement activities that build motor skills and increase independence.
- LEGO Club, Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Make new friends and build amazing creations every week. Recommended for grades K-6
- Kids’ Art Studio, Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. A fun art project every week! Due to space limitations, this program is limited to 20 participants. Signups begin same day when the library opens. Recommended for grades K-6.
- Preschool Storytime, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Stories and songs in English promote early literacy skills.
- Fun with French, Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. Explore the French language through song in this bilingual program.
- Sign Language Storytime, Thursdays at 12 noon. Baby Sign Language Basics author, Monta Z. Briant puts on a super-fun sign language performance for babies through preschoolers. Includes songs, fingerplays, books, fun toys and props, and bubbles!
- Yoga Storytime, Friday, January 10 & 24 at 11:00 a.m. Stretch both your body and your mind in this unique program that combines stories, songs and simple yoga poses. Families enjoy healthy fun and bonding. Please bring your own mat.
Courtesy of North University Community Library, 8820 Judicial Drive, 858-581-9637
- San Diego Public Library : sandiego.gov/public-library
- North University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- University Community Library : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- San Diego Public Library news and events : https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/news-events
For related posts, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/library/
Notes: Many thanks to the Friends of the Library for their generous sponsorship. You, too, can be a Friend; ask at the Check Out Desk. Please contact the library to confirm any given program and holiday hours. Changes are rare, but may occur.